Interesting P38 Range Rover

Escape

I've been looking for a Range Rover with the Bosch/Thor engine as a donor for a MS project for my own P38. I came across one that the seller claims has a 5.0 TVR engine. However, the engine number is for a standard 4.6. This is not to say it isn't stroked and/or bored. For a 5.0 TVR I'd expect a standard 94mm bore but a 90mm crank. However, V8 Developments was apparently involved, so nothing is certain.

Problem is, the car is located near Glasgow. A bit far, even for us, to drive over for a quick look. I'm not even sure much could be learned about the engine without taking the heads off. And I certainly don't want to bring it back to than find out it's just a standard 4.6. I can find those cheaper and closer by.

If anyone as any suggestions, or if anyone is from the area and thinks he could learn something viewing the engine, I'd be eternally grateful (think beer tokens ;) ).

Greetz,

Filip 

We have a few cars that can be compared with, so yes that's definitely an option.

I'm thinking it'd have to be something flexible though? The plug hole is at a fair angle, I doubt a steel rule would reach the bottom before hitting the side?

I was thinking the same to measure the bore. I tried it on a 3.9 we have lying around yesterday, using the thin end of a caliper. Result was not exact but definitely close enough to tell the different cranks apart. But that still requires us to drive up there and check, or trust the seller to do the measurement. And it wont be that easy with the engine in the car.

Good suggestion about contacting V8Developments, you never know they keep records.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Filip

I took a kit car to V8 developments to have an engine built as a 5.0 for a friend and the paperwork he got back with it was very thorough and well presented, I'd be surprised if this engine didn't come with the same documentation and if they don't still have records, for warranty claims if nothing else.

Simon, that would be very kind of you!

Whatever paperwork there may have been, seems to have been lost between the different owners. I've contacted V8Developments, fingers crossed they still have something (and are willing to spend the time digging it up).

• 2 weeks later...

I could only confirm a 80mm stroke. And that was consistently over 3 tries. 

Always pleased to help but unfortunately not the solution Filip was looking for. It was a very nice looking car though and if I was looking for a P38 certainly would be tempted.

Yeah, I spoke to soon I'm afraid... :-(

The original measurement was 90mm, which confirmed a TVR 5.0 crank in a standard 4.6 block. But upon measuring again and more accurately, it was only 80mm. Which is a low measurement even for a 4.6 (should be 82mm). So unfortunately no deal for me. On the up side, instead of being stripped for parts, the car stands a chance of being rebuild to its proper glory.

I've since learned that it's impossible to fit the TVR 90mm crank to a P38 V8, because TVR used the short nose crank with distributor and distributor driven oilpump. The GEMS/Bosch V8 have the oil pump directly on the crank, and need a long nose crank.

Already finalizing a different approach, I will get my 5.0 one way or another. ;-)

Filip

• Like 1