Yes I think I will leave it for now, it can be done relatively easily at some point in the future if needs be

I did see a post where they machined the camber out of the cast housings, the guy had a similar set up to me with the steel horse shoe brackets that I am hanging my calipers off, so no loss in overall strength

At this moment its all about getting them under the lightweight as soon as Mrs Wagtail moves her inconsiderate butt regards Stephen

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Rear axle stripped down

20220507_154226.thumb.jpg.688106bde36f3ea119bce70678b679d4.jpg

Welds to flatten back from when I altered diff angle

20220507_154715.thumb.jpg.388f000240029fd187d0c210efbc309e.jpg

Thank god for die grinders and carbide burrs but not for the little skin spikers it produces

20220507_155050.thumb.jpg.849402658e8bf3eacb5b73cccb226e46.jpg

20220507_155457.thumb.jpg.96b2eb7c388672c88ec134332344a71c.jpg

Been here before but needed a much longer one for long side of rear axle

20220507_170024.thumb.jpg.1e6b68fba8c44e1afe346088b0dc4fb3.jpg

Lidl plasma getting a workout 

20220507_171507.thumb.jpg.56478a4645dd53b0cdd35c48238eacbf.jpg

grinder extension out again

20220507_172413.thumb.jpg.00b948d29e1294bd0722d4eb9c57acfd.jpg

done for today regards Stephen 

20220507_174227.thumb.jpg.896059976a09555ce48cd02fa50c64c2.jpg

Dejavu😁  But a good one...   Allmost there for the set to be ready?  

19 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Haven't you finished yet ? 😁

You've cursed me............

DIFFinately had a very DIFFicult day today, tried all day and achieved nothing

Rear air locker is trying my patience, can get it to engage but not disengage must of had the diff out about 12 times and I can tell you it's bloody heavy, take the good with the bad.....

Here's to another DIFFicult day tomorrow regards Stephen

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Rear air locker is trying my patience, can get it to engage but not disengage must of had the diff out about 12 times and I can tell you it's bloody heavy, take the good with the bad.....

You need to come up with a DIFFerent solution.

Mo

You've probably mentioned it somewhere already but what steering box are you using ? 

What made me ask is the length of the drag link steering arm on the axle .

You're making great progress with this whole project , with all the bespoke engineering elements too. 

Steve 

I just refreshed this page and this old post appeared ?

Rather odd 

Edited by steve b
Why ?

23 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Look on the bright side: the last time I had a full day on my project was before our little one was born, and he turns 4 soon!

Daan

8 minutes ago, steve b said:

Some lovely metalsmith work there Stephen , as always . 

Has the cogitating time given any hints to the diff issues? 

Steve

I'm with you it's probably a wee bit of misalignment, have polished all areas to make it smoother as unimog parts are what I would consider rough finished, if it continues to elude me I've got ideas on a return spring set up similar to what a trolley jack handle has ( this will be a last resort )

Thought it best to get suspension mount finished then I can repaint the inside of diff then sort out locker action regards Stephen

• Like 1

This is beyond engineering at this point and into somewhere between artistry and witchcraft. It's a real joy to see.

I'm interested in what your consumables rate is like. Given I can burn out a drill bit if I so much as give them a stern look, how many do you get through in a month? How many flap wheels/grinding disks/saw blades/etc do you use?

I think you should set up a Binky-esque Patreon, I would pay a quid a month to help fund this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

This is beyond engineering at this point and into somewhere between artistry and witchcraft. It's a real joy to see.

I'm interested in what your consumables rate is like. Given I can burn out a drill bit if I so much as give them a stern look, how many do you get through in a month? How many flap wheels/grinding disks/saw blades/etc do you use?

I think you should set up a Binky-esque Patreon, I would pay a quid a month to help fund this.

Thank you your very kind

Consumables, hmm not as many as you think, carbide tips probably a box every 4 months, cutting discs anywhere between 20/40 per month although you can cut down on usage by using the plasma cutter, flap wheels 6/month, drill bits not many at all, correct speed, sharpening and cutting lubricant help with that, saw blades one every six month or so, it depends upon what your making

Binky, a step too far or another level as @L19MUD would say besides I can't even manage to link stuff I'd be totally screwed with video etc

All in all my hobby does not cost that much,  obviously other than buying axles etc, most of my metal is scrap from work, my single biggest cost is probably electricity, especially now lol...

Regards Stephen

Oops edit, forgot to mention tools lol....they can be expensive.......

• Like 1