Worth a punt? LED Headlamps

JeffR

19 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

It does say e marked so should be ok with mot man. The American headlight pattern is flat and doesn't have a kick up one side therefore they are ok for left or right hand drive, they are also legal over here.

Mike

You learn something new every day!

Almost certainly not legal. A light can’t be both DOT (USA) and E (EU) marked. Passing the MOT doesn’t make them legal either I’m afraid.

The only legal LED headlights that I am aware of are the proper branded ones such as JW Speaker, Trucklite etc.

The flat pattern (British American) is legal here as long as it's e marked. I don't know the legality of having both a dot and e mark however bfg tyres certainly have both. Whether these particular lights are legal or not I don't know and there is a grey area around if they need self levelling or not, hid do but if I remember correctly if they are under a certain lumen led don't.

Mike

I was told there is a way of self e marking but not sure. I think it's self certificating that your product complies with the rules but it is a different e mark I believe. As retro says whether these a actually legal or not I don't know. Personal I'm happy with my H4's and a new set make a world of difference over old ones.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On 3/3/2019 at 10:24 AM, zardos said:

Also https://www.qeedon.com/how-to-identify-headlights-e-mark-approved/

suggests they are fake E number
992.jpg

Matches exactly the style on the EBay pictures

Any manufacturer can add all the appropriate numbers to their product to make it appear to be genuine/approved.  It's only by going down the path outlined above that you have a chance of confirming its provenance, and even then you can be fooled.  It is very much "caveat emptor".  Mr. Plod is not going to confirm that the specific manufacturer has received EU certification that his product complies with EU specifications, and at the end of the day, if the widget performs in compliance with the regulations does it really matter?  However, gross under performance, eg with sub-standard tyres, could initiate further investigation and possible criminal proceedings.

Mike

A mate recently fitted LED H4 to his headlights, and is very happy with the result. Considering them for the Rangie. Pricey, but cheaper than fitting a LED-bar, and should be similar light output.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v

The rules are there for good reason.  "I didn't think I'd be caught" is not much of a legal defence if you are, and bad lights could be the cause of an accident that results in a close inspection of the car.