Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Worth a punt? LED Headlamps

Not too sure.....

No mentioning of LHD or RHD versions

Your MOT man may not like them.

Just noticed the lack of red/lhd! MOT man pretty cool dude , but that would upset him a bit

It does say e marked so should be ok with mot man. The American headlight pattern is flat and doesn't have a kick up one side therefore they are ok for left or right hand drive, they are also legal over here.

Mike

Good - because on the Continent they're not without a note on the logbook stating the "flat pattern" is allowed

19 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

It does say e marked so should be ok with mot man. The American headlight pattern is flat and doesn't have a kick up one side therefore they are ok for left or right hand drive, they are also legal over here.

Mike

You learn something new every day!

Almost certainly not legal. A light can’t be both DOT (USA) and E (EU) marked. Passing the MOT doesn’t make them legal either I’m afraid.

The only legal LED headlights that I am aware of are the proper branded ones such as JW Speaker, Trucklite etc.

The flat pattern (British American) is legal here as long as it's e marked. I don't know the legality of having both a dot and e mark however bfg tyres certainly have both. Whether these particular lights are legal or not I don't know and there is a grey area around if they need self levelling or not, hid do but if I remember correctly if they are under a certain lumen led don't.

Mike

I am happy to be proven wrong, however I would bet that the ‘E’ markings on those ebay China specials are completely worthless.

I was told there is a way of self e marking but not sure. I think it's self certificating that your product complies with the rules but it is a different e mark I believe. As retro says whether these a actually legal or not I don't know. Personal I'm happy with my H4's and a new set make a world of difference over old ones.

Mike

• Like 1