300tdi oil leak

Greetings...  This is a rebuilt 300tdi that I've purchased to replace the 12J in my 110 ExMOD.  Here's the issue, install went great, all fuel, coolant and inter cooler issues sorted.  First start up went great, short test drive OK, but dumped about 2 quarts of oil in the garage upon return.  It was pouring out of the hole at the bottom of the Flywheel cover...  The wading plug was not in place...  I immediately assumed rear main seal.  Pulled the trans and flywheel, replaced rear main seal and gasket, replaced the flywheel and trans...  first start up, as soon as engine started to warm it was again dripping from the hole in the bottom of the flywheel cover.  There also seemed to be a slow drip from the area where the oil pan gasket meets the flywheel cover.   I'm really confused, one leak is from within the other from outside...  any help / solution / thoughts are much appreciated.  I really don't know where to go next...

The rear crank seal is my first thought also. Have you retained the LT77 transmision and used the flywheel housing from the 12J engine with a new oil seal for a 12J engine? Also is the seal a genuine LR seal? I can never get a cheap seal to hold oil back on the rear crank.

T seals would tend to leak between the back of the sump and the front of the flywheel housing and would only leak while engine has sufficient oil to reach that level and whilst running. Find it difficult to believe it dumped half a gallon of oil on the floor while the engine wasn't running. That would suggest the flywheel housing was full of oil and a replacement clutch would be needed as well

Thank you, Gentlemen for your thoughts...  Monkie, this is a R380 stubby from Ashcroft using the Flywheel housing from the 300tdi...  Yes, new rear main seal was genuine.

Neil110... wading plug was in base of flywheel cover so oil accumulated there...  Yes, it trashed the clutch...

Thanks for your help....  I pulled the sump and re-sealed.  Check tomorrow if that at least stopped one of the leaks...

• 2 weeks later...

What we don't know is weather the oil is black or clean oil, if it's clean oil it would be coming from the gearbox. If it's engine oil and a new seal was fitted I would question the crank, is it scored? Do you know the history of the engine? Has it been rebuilt sometime in it's life?

Gentleman, thank you for your collective help....  Sorry the update is late, but life isn't only our Land Rovers... (is it?)

Anyway, re-sealing the sump stopped the leak at the junction of the sump and the flywheel cover....  The other rear main seal leak just poured out of the wading plug hole.. again!  and it was a Genuine rear seal.

I contacted the gentleman that I purchased the rebuilt engine from and he did the truly honorable thing...  Drove 3 hours each way to deliver another rebuilt 300tdi and offered to assist me in the swap.  I changed the engine and all is well....  The cause of the leak is still a mystery until Richard tears the engine apart to try and find an answer.  I would HIGHLY recommend Rover Resource to anyone interested in purchasing a rebuilt 200 or 300tdi...  (in the United States)  his service was exceptional.  www.roverresource.com

Hi,

You're obviously on the west side of the pond, but even so, it is very often helpful to include your location on your posts so that you can get the most appropriate help, whether it be geographically based or specific country based.

Mike

The only other time I've had oil come out there other than an obvious worn rear crank shaft seal was when I accidentally blocked the breather outlet and it obviously pressurised the sump and block in which oil squeezed out of a few places.