Sump Gasket removal

2a-Egg

Have got the sump off my truck and have started to clean it up inside and out, the seal is pretty well on and wondering what the best way of getting it off is. Ive started to use a chisel to get under it and off, but there must be a better way

Cheers

Edited by 2a-Egg

Go easy with a chisel, I used a small razor blade and kept soaking the gasket that’s coming off in old oil to soften it. WD etc could be used as well I guess. Careful you don’t chip the metal 😊👍

16 minutes ago, jordan_meakin said:

It's only a thin gasket. Razor blade is a good shout.

The one that's on it ain't thin.. 

28 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Go easy with a chisel, I used a small razor blade and kept soaking the gasket that’s coming off in old oil to soften it. WD etc could be used as well I guess. Careful you don’t chip the metal 😊👍

Just running it along surface, brand new chisel so nice clean flat edge too. 

Edited by 2a-Egg

On 4/17/2019 at 3:16 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I have a collection of these and they're awesome for scraping stuff off - you can get plastic versions with plastic blades too:

scraper.thumb.jpeg.d213f582ab7035b654dbd3fbeb32e6d5.jpeg

Is that a cooper or brass blade?  Great idea, being softer than iron or steel so it doesn't damage head or block surfaces.  Where did you find them?

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

Is that a cooper or brass blade?  Great idea, being softer than iron or steel so it doesn't damage head or block surfaces.  Where did you find them?

That picture shows it without the blade fitted,I have a few of them,they use a steel razorblade type thing,very good when they are sharp. Often an old file ground smooth,then sharpened with a 30 degree edge at about 30 degrees to the length of the file is just as useful.And lasts pretty much forever,AND I can make them to suit my left handed self...

I've used these. It's a standard safety razer blade. But the angle is such that the blade only slices the gasket.

It works, until the notches wear and you find you have to hold the blade in place. 

On 4/17/2019 at 12:16 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I have a collection of these and they're awesome for scraping stuff off - you can get plastic versions with plastic blades too:

scraper.thumb.jpeg.d213f582ab7035b654dbd3fbeb32e6d5.jpeg

Where do you buy these from? Looks like a sensible investment.