New shocks, now .. ?

Hi all ..  

I have a defender 110 td5  99   

My other post I was looking for advice on springs , have now sorted this , original land rover take offs ...    

I am now looking for a shock to complement them , I thought about again take offs , but was wondering about peoples experience with other units ..  I have been considering Super Gaz , ome , Blistein  yeah I like the yellow look lol ..    

we are going to be using our defender for "light overland / touring use " we ave a month in scotland this year , and prob the alps next year , be carrying camping and climbing gear , and the family , expecting snow , maybe heavy at times , not intending to do heavy off road tho ..  

Im happy to pay a little extra for a shock if it can be justified, the super gaz just seems very cheap like the springs ..   

so would be happy on thoughts and recommendations .... 

Had Bilsteins on for 10 years. Apart from the bushes needing to be replaced a couple of times I have had no problems with them. Despite loading the truck to the eyeballs with logs and towing a similarly laden trailer.

Nice controlled ride, used in conjunction with standard Land Rover TD5 CSW springs

have super gaz on Wallace, stiff as ol' boots, they are.Can't wait to get them off and go back to oil filled Armstrong ones , plus the rear top bushes aren't std size.

Edited by Yostumpy

Have had the yellow gas-pressurised Bilsteins on my 90TD5 for around six years/80,000 miles - they weren't cheap but they made a spectacular improvement to the handling both when running unladen on twisty A/B-roads and when towing my big Bateson 3.5-ton flatbed on motorways.

Best thing about them - no more bowel-loosening steering-wobble-of-death when you drop a front-wheel into a pothole coming off a roundabout at 50MPH full-throttle-in-3rd while pulling-away from a boy-racer in a Citroen Saxo!

cheers for the info guys .. 

Im still on the fence on what to order ,  I looked at the terrafirma adjustable like mentioned , but then thought Id end up messing with them all the time , Id weather have something that does the job and I can forget about ..  

at the moment Id like to fit yellow shocks , as I think they would look good ...lol...  so that leaves me with old man emu , blistine , or brit part super gaz  ...  I think that I can afford to spend a little more so Im thinking either ome or blistine ..   does anyone know which is the better of the two , and which would be better on original LR springs . . 

cheers ..  

I fitted the adjustable shocks and tbh never touch them, l did try them on the firm setting once, but just ended up at the softest setting.

In that position the ride quality is better than standard and it’s great on the road unless you are driving flat out round corners on bad roads,  which l never do anyway.

cheers guys ...  

been away for a few day ..  , lol i might buy some yellow paint ..  im still on the fence on what to buy atm ...  maybe some take offs , are after markets make much of a difference to the ride .. 

12 hours ago, aevans692 said:

are after markets make much of a difference to the ride .. 

Genuine/OEM should give the ride the factory designed.

Aftermarket could be anything from utterly awful to super luxury depending what you buy. Generally, decent names for decent money will be more likely to do what they say.

If in doubt, as I mentioned on your spring thread, Richard at Gotts parts counter used to set up suspension for a living and will see you right - although you may have to accept good parts aren't cheap.

In the scheme of things, remember £50 for a shock absorber of any sort of quality is really NOT big money - just because Britpart will sell you a shock-absorber shaped lump of cheese for £15 doesn't mean Koni etc. are ripping you off by charging £75 for having done it properly.

• Like 1

OME is one of the best of cheap from my experience,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-110-OLD-MAN-EMU-REAR-NITROCHARGER-SHOCK-ABSORBER-DA8913/272057421295?hash=item3f57e2cdef:g:O9wAAOSwR7xcZJ39

but Recently the FOX light truck versions are amazing value, and very good ride:

https://www.prolinx.biz/pages/Products/ViewProduct/985-24-078-Landrover-PS-Front-Std-Height/

I currently have the OMEs at the front and the Foxes at the back, and both I can recommend. The only problem with the Foxes is that the rubbers are too hard, and with full articulation at 10", the shafts start bending.

Daan