RUC armoured 109 power steering box

jericho

Some of the armoured series 3 109s used by the RUC in Northern Ireland were fitted with a zf hydraulic power steering box in place of the series 3 manual steering box,and so retained all the origional steering linkage forward of the steering box drop-arm.

I am searching for one of these zf kits,or at least information,can anyone help?

There was a man going round the landrover shows in 2005 selling complete kits,I'm sure I saw him at malvern 2006 too.Anyone got a lead?

Zf part numbers?

I know its a bit obscure,but no harm in asking. Thanks.

Some of the armoured series 3 109s used by the RUC in Northern Ireland were fitted with a zf hydraulic power steering box in place of the series 3 manual steering box,and so retained all the origional steering linkage forward of the steering box drop-arm.

I am searching for one of these zf kits,or at least information,can anyone help?

There was a man going round the landrover shows in 2005 selling complete kits,I'm sure I saw him at malvern 2006 too.Anyone got a lead?

Zf part numbers?

I know its a bit obscure,but no harm in asking. Thanks.

I enquired about these, but maybe 3 or 4 years ago, he wanted about £400 IIRC.

He also had, off the same trucks front and rear Salibury's with coiler track width. :)

He advertized in one of the rags I should still have the copy, If no one comes forward with any more info I try to find the number for you.

I seem to remember he had a florist business or something, the LR's was just a hobby.

Andy

Some of the armoured series 3 109s used by the RUC in Northern Ireland

Hiya - After we spoke tonight I had a thought.

Sometime years ago the guy at Alton in Hants (Keith Gott is it?) had some of these landy's which he had bought and was selling off some bits. All the Chassis were cut through behind and in front of the bulk head and they (were) stacked in a corner in a bottom shed I was going to give him a ring tomorrow or next week but if anyone has been there recently they might remember seeing some?

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but have the opportunIty to purchase one of these ex military power steering boxes, and wondered if anyone had any advice about what to look for or check?

It works fine aparently, comes with all pipes and brackets except the pump. Can I use any power steering pump on my v8 engine to power it?

I assume there is not a service kit widely available for it, but anybody know anyone who might supply one? Any workshop manuals which would cover it etc?

As you can tell, any help gratefully received!

Cheers

Hi all,

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but have the opportunIty to purchase one of these ex military power steering boxes, and wondered if anyone had any advice about what to look for or check?

It works fine aparently, comes with all pipes and brackets except the pump. Can I use any power steering pump on my v8 engine to power it?

I assume there is not a service kit widely available for it, but anybody know anyone who might supply one? Any workshop manuals which would cover it etc?

As you can tell, any help gratefully received!

Cheers

How much does it cost, and where did you source it?

If it just replaces the standard box and leaves the rest of the system as standard, then it'll still have the slightly vague steering and mild wander that the Series vehicles have compared to a coiler, but I would imagine the steering gearing ratio would have been increased to a similar rate as the coilers to reduce the amount of steering wheel input, given that armoured vehicles would principally be used in built-up areas and would be optimised for a lot of cornering and manoeuvring.

It sounds like a very interesting alternative to fitting coiler PAS, and possibly much simpler too. I have never heard of it before, but it sounds like an ideal system.

Now, in regard to the DVLA points system, and this is the bit that I couldn't get the VOSA inspectors to answer, does anyone know if the points scored on a rebuild have to be retained throughout a vehicle's post-rebuild service life to retain the VIN, or can you, after a specified time post-rebuild, start replacing or modifying bits that you used to count towards the 8 points? I think I'd be OK, because I have parabolics which are allowed to count as they are an "in service" replaceable part for the suspension (you score the points for the suspension as long as the whole original suspension system is used, excluding springs, dampers and bushed, which is the entire system on a leafer), I have the original (rebuilt) transmission and have the original (again, rebuilt) steering, so I could lose the steering points, but I'd like to keep a "buffer" of extra points if the points sytem still applies years after rebuilding.

Of course there are other potential problems.

If you replace the manual box with a powered box everything downstream of this is now subject to much greater stress, compared to before.

The "weak link" is the steering relay.

I don't know if they beefed up the relay on the RUC machines, but I suspect so. More research would be my suggestion, before relying on this in a real road situation.

G.

Of course there are other potential problems.

If you replace the manual box with a powered box everything downstream of this is now subject to much greater stress, compared to before.

The "weak link" is the steering relay.

I don't know if they beefed up the relay on the RUC machines, but I suspect so. More research would be my suggestion, before relying on this in a real road situation.

G.

Quite true, but I suspect that the hydraulic forces applied to this system are much less than those on the coiler systems, probably producing just a little more output force than the standard box but at a quicker turn rate to allow more rapid manoeuvring in crowded streets. I wouldn't want to use it in conjunction with pattern parts, though - I have heard of pattern relays shearing with the normal box, never mind such a system as this, though they usually seem to have grossly oversized wheels or offsets.

Just picked it up, £250 private sale, amazing value if you ask me. all in working order, but with no pump, but believe can use any land rover pump.

It is a ZF make, so shall contact them, but the seller said it did not leak and had very little play. came off an amazing little 88inch, with defender axles, parabolic springs with dislocation brackets at the front, very impressive show of engineering.

I shall keep you updated on how it is fitted and all works, thanks or he help. hopefully my steering components after the box should be fine just replaced the lot, relay, ball joints, damper, bushes, bearings and swivles, so fingers crossed!

Cheers again!

Now, in regard to the DVLA points system, and this is the bit that I couldn't get the VOSA inspectors to answer, does anyone know if the points scored on a rebuild have to be retained throughout a vehicle's post-rebuild service life to retain the VIN, or can you, after a specified time post-rebuild, start replacing or modifying bits that you used to count towards the 8 points?

Right, so when a vehicle is built it has all its points and has to retain the minimum points throughout its life to retain its VIN. So why would rebuilding a vehicle suddenly make it exempt to this rule?

I think I'd be OK, because I have parabolics which are allowed to count as they are an "in service" replaceable part for the suspension (you score the points for the suspension as long as the whole original suspension system is used, excluding springs, dampers and bushed, which is the entire system on a leafer)

The key words here are 'original design', which covers the springs, dampers and bushes, because although you can fit parabolics and polybushes they are deemed to be near enough the same design

, I have the original (rebuilt) transmission and have the original (again, rebuilt) steering, so I could lose the steering points, but I'd like to keep a "buffer" of extra points if the points sytem still applies years after rebuilding.

I seem to remember recently talks about chassis though so i dont think losing points for the steering is a worry..

Right, so when a vehicle is built it has all its points and has to retain the minimum points throughout its life to retain its VIN. So why would rebuilding a vehicle suddenly make it exempt to this rule?

I always assumed the points system applied for the whole vehicle life, but several people, including some on here, have insisted the points system only applies at the time of a complete rebuild and that you can sequentially replace everything (ie. gradual rolling repairs or modification, not a rebuild) and retain the original VIN, which just doesn't seem right to me. Trying to clarify it with VOSA just got me a run-around.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see more of this ZF system - whether I ever consider fitting one or not, it's a very intriguing idea. Could you post some photos of the unit when you get a chance, please?

Was this the one on eBay?

Yes it was, sorry looks like I pipped everyone to it, but lucky for me I guess!

and as for this zf powersteering box, pictures please!!!

Pictures will follow soon, hopefully when I get home tonight.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see more of this ZF system - whether I ever consider fitting one or not, it's a very intriguing idea. Could you post some photos of the unit when you get a chance, please?

I shall make sure I get as much detail and as many pictures as I can, because I am aware this is a very rare unit. Hopefully it will be everything I hope it to be, and save my fathers elbows when trying to drive the Landy!

Cheers all

Got some photos.

I have high res ones but cannot upload them, so PM me your email address if you want a more detailed photo.

The details on the stamp are as follows:

ZF Made in Germany

8051 995 107

If anyone can shed any light on what these might mean that would be nice.

Cheers

post-13763-0-88461100-1300116415_thumb.jpg

post-13763-0-41712000-1300116428_thumb.jpg

post-13763-0-67494600-1300116437_thumb.jpg

post-13763-0-56014000-1300116448_thumb.jpg

Bit of help (already!)

I am short the pump. I have a 3.5 carb v8 engine from a LDV Sherpa from mid 80's, anybody know which pump will fit and where I would mount it to?

I can get a power steering pump from a 1986 Range Rover 3.5 v8, I assume this will fit? But will I need any brackets etc?

Cheers

As a newcomer to this forum - i thought to say hello before joining the discussion - so hello.

The ZF box is a really simple system to fit to a Series 2 or 3, i fitted one about 3 years ago to 86inch Series 1. If fitting to S1 the bracket wont work with out modifications but is easily "do-able" with a grinder and welder.

I have had no problems with mine in terms of leaks etc and does not seem to place any more stree on the relay than a standard steering set up.

Overall well worth the effort and makes parking a dream

As a newcomer to this forum - i thought to say hello before joining the discussion - so hello.

The ZF box is a really simple system to fit to a Series 2 or 3, i fitted one about 3 years ago to 86inch Series 1. If fitting to S1 the bracket wont work with out modifications but is easily "do-able" with a grinder and welder.

I have had no problems with mine in terms of leaks etc and does not seem to place any more stree on the relay than a standard steering set up.

Overall well worth the effort and makes parking a dream

Which ZF box? - one like this or something different. I have a galv chassis so don't want to go down the coiler PAS route so would be interested to know.