What gas strut could I use for the bonnet please ?

Arjan

As this forum has some very, very wise people, I hope you can help me.

image.png.9d58ce3b806b8a78cf68001c1638fa23.png

The use of these gas struts to keep the bonnet open is very interesting and something I'd consider to sort an issue the layout of the 110 engine bay and the bonnet support.

Question 1 : does anybody has this in their Land Rover, can you please tell me more ?

Question 2 : what struts would be needed ?

Thank You !!

38 minutes ago, Arjan said:

His Shop ?

did I miss something....

can we sponsor a fellow forum member..

Yep, Nige Barker, aka Hybrid_From_Hell and  Xcess4x4, purveyor of Megasquirt and Megajolt, super shiny diffs and magnetic drain plugs!

You can sponsor him, and you can even patronise him!🤪

• Like 1

On my Disco 2 I have a 75lbs (pounds) strut I bought off of an eBay seller in the states. They came as a set but I only used 1 gas prop.

I tried a 60lbs strut at first but it wasn't strong enough and couldn't hold the bonnet open. 75lbs works great.

Edited by JUKE179r

A Single strut will soon cause damage to the bonnet as it will flex and try to buckle not being supported on both sides - , a twin set up as I make has 2, but only is for 90s, and defenders of pretty much all flavours. And KEY is the bracketry that holds the rams both top and bottom, as if too small or poor the fixings will fracture.

I designed mine due to me near knocking myself out when my bonnet prop undid itself on a windy day, and the smack on the head helped me have a good idea :rofl:

Video here - if any member or Moderator feels that I as an admin & a businesses owner I shouldn't post this video, say and I will delete toot de sweet :D

Arjan - I have your PM and will reply :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I admire your discipline in not abusing your position, but you’re too hard on yourself, Nige!

I’d say a simple rule of thumb would work well - responding to enquiries about products or ideas does not constitute spamming or advertising; promoting stuff that isn’t in response to questions usually would be.  I suspect most would see it the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/3/2019 at 11:54 AM, Snagger said:

I admire your discipline in not abusing your position, but you’re too hard on yourself, Nige!

I’d say a simple rule of thumb would work well - responding to enquiries about products or ideas does not constitute spamming or advertising; promoting stuff that isn’t in response to questions usually would be.  I suspect most would see it the same way.

I agree, you do give yourself a hard time. As a pretty long standing member I’ve not got a problem with you posting your stuff when relevant.