Never simple is it...?

reb78

Finished doing the timing belt on the 110 (200tdi) today. Put it all back together, went for a spin. All looked good up top, looked underneath, coolant pouring out everywhere. Its coming from the rear of the timing chest where it meets the block!

I guess it is getting along the water pump bolts and coming out at the back. What to do? I guess strip the whole timing case off and replace the rear gasket as well?

Going to start stripping it again now, but thoughts are welcome.

(need the 110 next week as the D3 is sorned and its MOT is up next Saturday and it needs the front lower arms doing and the D2 needs a few bits doing ready for its MOT the week after next!)

I know. there are a lot of failure points for this water pump!

It's stripped now. The gallery gasket doesn't look damaged to be honest. Everything was torqued up correctly. This jobs turned into a bit of a mission. Got it back together on Tuesday only to find i had misaligned the front cover gasket that time. I didn't do it the second time and could clearly see the drip from the bottom right bolt on the water pump but behind the timing case. Maybe I was messing around too long with the water pump (since i had to do it twice)!

When re-assembling this lot, what is the consensus on hylomar, grease, dry etc on the gaskets? I dont want to do it again. Some of the ali surfaces on the front cover are looking a little aged and pitted in places if that makes a difference to answers!

I always use grease on paper gaskets, but I thought these red and black rubbery baskets were supposed to be used dry.  I prefer grease or even a sealant as they help seal any surface imperfections, but also hold the gasket in place while you refit the casings.  As long as you don’t apply large amounts, they’ll do no harm, and while sealant may make future removal more difficult than a dry gasket, grease certainly makes it a lot easier.

I think I would feel better with a little sealant given the pitting on some of the aluminium parts. My worry with sealant on this job though is the time it takes me to assemble that top section where the water pump goes and the setting time of the sealant.

So say I use sealant on the water channel gallery seal. I have to replace the timing chest, put all of the timing gears back in, replace the timing belt time it up and tension it, replace the front cover (with sealant?), then get the water pump and its gasket bolted up. I work methodically.... so read that as not that fast.... so will the original sealant on the gallery seal have gone off by then and impede sealing?

Phil, is that the same/similar to Hylomar Blue? I have some of that and interestingly saw one of the TV car mechanics using it on water pump sealants the other day (cant remember who - it might have been Wheeler Dealers on in the background - I dont normally watch it but there was nothing else on)

1 hour ago, reb78 said:

so will the original sealant on the gallery seal have gone off by then and impede sealing?

Perhaps, but if you put it on sensibly, it'll just squash down anyway.  That is what you are supposed to do with RTV sealant, not put the parts together with it wet.

Noooooo ! None of the above. All those silicone RTV type sealers are meant to be used on their own for irregular surfaces, oil pans and the like, and also only to properly prepared and degreased surfaces, and as for blue Hylomar, the sign of the bodge, hopeless !

Wellseal is what you want. Best sealer ever, and non hardening EVER. Either as a gasket dressing, or on its own to perfectly fitting machined surfaces .Apply with a brush, let it dry for a bit, and the gasket will stay where its put, and it NEVER leaks, unless you have displaced the gasket somehow.

Not on head gaskets though.

The one I use is great. Been on the engine from when I rebuilt it a couple of years ago and no leaks. I followed the instructions and smeared a small amount on the gasket. This is different to the types that harden like the RTV type for sealing oil sumps where no gasket is recommended. 

Screenshot_20190922_191412_com.android.chrome.jpg

Didnt your water pump only live a short life though Mo?!

Right, all gaskets and seals ordered (most of them again!) so hopefully they will arrive by the weekend and I can get this all fixed on Saturday. The timing belt and tensioner has only done about 5 miles so that can go back on - is it now a new or old belt when it comes to tensioning it??!!

49 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Didnt your water pump only live a short life though Mo?!

Right, all gaskets and seals ordered (most of them again!) so hopefully they will arrive by the weekend and I can get this all fixed on Saturday. The timing belt and tensioner has only done about 5 miles so that can go back on - is it now a new or old belt when it comes to tensioning it??!!

New