Swivel Pin - Replace EP90 with One Shot

I can't remember when the right swivel pin housing started leaking on my 1996 Defender 110, but it has been years. The left one has remained dry; no leaks. Every time I service it I top it up with anywhere between 60mls and 80mls of EP90. The swivel itself is clean and smooth, no corrosion nor pitting. It does leave its drippings if it's been parked for awhile, but other than that I have no complaints. I do have all the parts for replacement but have not felt a need to do so.

My question is whether I might be able to replace the EP90 with one shot grease, thinking that the grease, being thicker, may not leak out. Thoughts?

Swivel-Right.jpg.bbbb9d3739ddd2e538e49ad26a8d68a9.jpgSwivel-Left.jpg.f1f939c5c233e1fe27432de975f07d2b.jpg

I used to have the grease in mine. When I replaced the swivel housings, it was the messiest job I have had to do. Everything was covered in grease. I wished at the time that I had oil in there which could be drained out. 

I'm just rebuilding my front axle ends after 11 years and just shy of 80000 miles, I put 1 shot in originally and I'll be putting it in again. Yes it is a messy job, but if you do it right you really shouldn't be needing to go in there very often - my CV's where found it tip top condition - quite chuffed with it actually as the grease is obviously doing its job.

If its leaking I'd say you have a problem with your seal or your swivel pre-load and would probably get it replaced/looked at at some point, changing to one shot will probably reduce your leak but it wont go away, one shot is pretty wet too its like some moly grease has been mixed into some EP80W90.

• Like 1

Jim,

I use one shot in mine. When I strip it the grease is stuck to everything, especially the cv joints. I view that as a good thing for 35 year CVs ☺

However if oil or grease can leak out then carp can get in so if your swivel is good then it's time to take the pain and change the seal for a quality replacement  (I use Corteco). It's a Ballache of a job but straightforward enough.

While you're in there, tap Landroversforever for a pair of his stainless steel swivel seal retainers. These don't rely on leaking oil to prevent corrosion 😉

HTH

Mo

• Like 2

Thank you all for your input. I do appreciate that I can't let this leak go on forever and, since I have a long overland project planned in the new year, I may take advantage of some quiet time this winter and do an overhaul. For now, I think I shall just leave the EP90 to do its job.

I find it interesting that there are such mixed feelings about oil versus grease. When I do the overhaul I shall pack it with one shot and hope that I can forget about it for years to come.

19 hours ago, jimconline said:

Thank you all for your input. I do appreciate that I can't let this leak go on forever and, since I have a long overland project planned in the new year, I may take advantage of some quiet time this winter and do an overhaul. For now, I think I shall just leave the EP90 to do its job.

I find it interesting that there are such mixed feelings about oil versus grease. When I do the overhaul I shall pack it with one shot and hope that I can forget about it for years to come.

Do not pack it full of the STC3435 one shot grease a measured amount 370ml is all that's ts needed for each swivel housing. 

https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/swivel-housing-grease-stc3435.html