R380 gearchange

I’ve just had a rebuilt R380 gearbox fitted to my 110 after a 5th bearing failure on the previous box. I’m finding with this new box that the gear change is very stiff and getting it in and out of the gates is quite difficult at times.

I have the same synchro gears quick shift fitted as was in the original box and up until the point of failure the gearchange was quite slick on that so I’m at a loss as to what’s causing this. Clutch is new as is flywheel etc so I’m wondering if there is an adjustment of some description that can be made to improve the shift?

5th to 4th is particularly tight coming down the box.

I changed my LT77S for an Ashcroft rebuilt box a couple of months ago.

The gearchange was very tight at first but over a thousand miles or so it has eased considerably and whilst still a little stiff still I expect it to continue to ease with use.

I found the same with a previous gearbox from Ashcroft in about 2005, once again an LT77, which bothered me at the time but which eased with use until it was lovely.

HTH

Mo 

Cheers, it’s good to know that the gearchange will improve over time. Only done a few hundred miles at the moment so will keep an eye on it.  The supplier recommended to use ATF in the box so hopefully that is all good. 👍

It would be worth having a fiddle with the selector bias springs as mentioned above, I fitted a recon R380 and the slickshift then experienced the same issues. You can test easily by seeing if the gears engage better with sideways pressure on the gear stick then adjust accordingly.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:56 PM, Bigj66 said:

The supplier recommended to use ATF in the box so hopefully that is all good. 👍

I believe Land Rover specified MTF94 for this gearbox.

Do some research, but I used this in mine and had no gear change issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Land Rover did specify ATF at some point, to make the gear changes easier, especially in cold weather. I've always prefered MTF GL5, even if it takes a bit more effort after a cold start. It soon gets better and it should provide better lubrication under high load.

When the R380 first went into service in late 93/94 ATF was specified as no suitable MTF was available.  Within a year MTF94 (94 being the year it was introduced) was specified as the replacement oil for the R380.  ATF has good gear change qualities but less effective wear qualities.

Use a modern equivalent to MTF 94, something like Castrol Syntrans.

Garry

22 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

Yes, but they have recently changed their minds....link. You pays your money and takes your choice....

It doesn't really say why Ashcroft think it's better... If it's just gear selection and not overall life and protection of the gearbox in general then I'd argue it's short term-ism.

If it stated that they had reviewed the internal wear on gearboxes that had used this exclusively for 100k miles and could see a marked difference in wear I'd be inclined to go with the Ashcroft recommendation.

Other than that, use what was designed to support the product and what Land Rover recommend.

• Like 1