Post your Winch choices/costs and other related info only.

white90

Upfront: Old 8274 2HP motor at present. £250 the cost. Rebuilt/sealed. Machined up a new phos plain bearing for the end plate. Still going to date. Getting ready to strip and rebuild soon, 6HP motor. Albright solenoid pack

Back-end: Come-up DV9000, stock motor. Cost £250 (vertually brand new) Rebuilt waterproofed and running still. Stock Solenoid pack

Reason for winch choice;

Small budget, best for my money at the time.

Warn 8274: Widely used, lots of knowledge and parts are available. Its reputation speakes for itself, maybe an old design? But it works for me ;)

Come-up: Was looking for a front winch and this came up at the same time i had struck a deal for the 8274 :D The freespool was horrendous when i first got it. Stripped it down cleaned out the very thick grease and rebuilt/Sealed. The gears seem to have been machine a little rough. But i just cant fault it. Been running it for a year now.

Running 2 Alternators , 3 Batts, 2 in Parallel for da winches. Nowt special just 85amp leisure batts

Both running Dyneema Bowrope.

Looking back what would i get now?

PTO or Hydraulic. Air support :D

T-max ew11000 (£380)

100' of 11mm dyneema(£150)

50mm fireproof cable from underground train :ph34r: (free)

albright contactor(£60)

120amp chevy v8 alternator and big cheap battery(£90)

homemade stainless fairlead(£20 worth of metal made 4 fairleads)

I have run this setup on my 90 for two years now without one single problem,i didnt bother fitting

the original solinoids(seen too many fail at really nasty moments).I very rarely use a snatch block

as it is not needed,it will pull all day without fuss.

It is a bit slow but very strong, good winch for the money

PTO as it came 16 years ago on my s3. It was previously on a 1965 S2a, that makes it over 40 years old. Now fitted to my hybrid with a 5 speed box. I used a superwinch pto for 30 pounds on old sodbury. I did several events with it; tough trucks trophy twice, the RFC, the argyl. I think it is fair to say that the RFC is one of the hardest tests for any winch, 10 days of continues use (average around 20-30 times a day) The old girl is a bit tyred now, so a replacement is on the cards; guess what i will go for....

Daan

Hello newbie on this ere forum :unsure: well i have adorned the front of my truck with a warn 9000i winch and put a plasma rope on it, which is 100ftx12mm this is being held on by a first four tubular bumper . The reason behind this choice was WARN i trust there make and reliability etc etc and i only use it for greenlaning and pay and break days and has never let me down, i have just fitted ruftracks in cab winch controls now................so i kick me passenger out and stay nice and warm in my cab :D;) the reason for plasma was i hate steel wire don't trust it never will :unsure::unsure:

post-2548-1167855826_thumb.jpg

Don't do enough comps to justify 8274 route even though I rate them highly, apart from the overun and tendency to over rap when using plasma.

So went for EP9 and it's been very good since I put it on in Sep. Can seem slow compared to 8274, but for play days, laning and the odd comp it will do me fine and the price was excellent in my opinion.

EP9 without fairlead and wire worked out about 315 pounds when part of a package with bumper.

Had a good look around etc and nothing could beat it for price, performance and reputation.

Cheers

Steve

For the past 3 years i have been using an 8274 front winch and husky rear,but recently bought another8274 for the rear to keep spares down

8274-£350 secondhand+albrights+125'dyneema bowrope+5.6hpbowmotor=bout£700-750 :o

husky-£300 secondhand+albrights+4.6hpbowmotor=about£450

Have also got a warn m10000 that i am fitting to my lwb landcruiser :ph34r:

Paul

I bought a Warn XD9000 years ago before I new anything about winches. I bought it because it was the one that went with the ARB bullbar I bought at the same time.

The bullbar went to a new home very quickly but the winch has been excellent (after all, I do get stuck quite a lot don't I :unsure: !) Never run out of puff and never flattened my el cheapo batteries either.

10mm bowrope replaced 9.5mm (?) plasma (?) that had been on for a couple of years.

Recently, the motor died and i have replaced it with a 5.6Hp bowmotor. Saturday will be it's first test....

If I was doing it all over again I would get an EP9, if only for the external brake and the ability to lower out long distances with synthetic rope. Actually, if I was doing it again I would look long and hard at hydraulic..... :ph34r:

Well the vehicle's not out of the shed yet, but the cost of the winch is:

Superwinch H14W Hydraulic with PTO, valve, tank, pump, all the pipes (although these will probably be replaced for safety), HD bumper, wing-mounted remote controls and wire rope which has been ditched was £500 from Sodbury.

I've bought a second identical setup, minus the tank, for £330 on eBay although the guy failed to supply the PTO (he thought the pump was it) and negotiations are continuing <_<

Need to add some hydro plumbing and plasma rope and bling fairleads to the total.

The bumper won't be used as the front winch is mounted on a standard cradle. Rear winch is yet to be decided and will probably have to wait a while for funds to recover.

OT - Just kidding Tony :)

I bought a new 8274X50 for the front - which was about £1000

I could have bought used, but had my fingers burned by buying a Superwinch Ox (or is it Bison, or Yak) which was poor.

I've been very pleased with it - and it has never let me down.

I have a used Husky on the back which was £250. It's very solid & reliable - if heavy.

For my new build, I'm toying with the idea of Superwinch EP9's front and rear for weight with a 6Hp motor on the front for a lick of speed. Even buying new, these are good value.

Si

I run a ramsey hydraulic on the front with the dedicated pump driven by the engine, 11mm plasma, I have a EP9 on the back with same rope

Reasons for this is we can recover the truck if it is on its side with the rear winch.

I have noticed a lot of people use secondhand winches on the rear, I find I use my rear winch about twice as much as my front one

Superwinch Husky EW8 for the front

Brought for £175 at Sodbury

DSCF2577.jpg

Paint £20

Powder Coating of the mounting plate £10

New Motor (12V 11.212.449), circlip for shaft, wormbox oil, spurgear grease, spurgear case gasket and 2nd hand freewheel lever from Goodwinch for £230

Stainless steel plate for rear strengthening plate and front fairlead (still to be finished) £20

DSCF2782.jpg

EP Sealed Solenoid £50

DSCF2653.jpg

still to get some Dynemma, and build the bumper, but time aint on my side at present :unsure: