Dad has to fix his Sons series

winchman10

My Son has just bought his first Land Rover, being a humble apprentice with very little money you can imagine the rest it has a long list of issues, so I have been roped in to help.

Heres Bob, Rivet counters look away now, he is a 1964 Series 2A fitted with a  Mercedes OM617 5 cylinder diesel, he also has  series 3 front. Once he is working correctly and we have some spare cash he will be returned back to a 2 front

Bob.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've done some daft things but not sure I'd want to do a million miles in a S2 :blink:

Why ever not? Can't think of a more pleasant way to tour the world.

Rivet counters look away now, adaptor plate looks to be a piece of plate burnt yes burnt out, not sure if the gear box is a 2 or 3 sounds very rough though have to find another and rebuild it My son is hoping get the bits to put the front back to 2A but too many other things to buy, despartly need some cross ply tyres but just can't afford new we have 3 and 1 radial a friend gave him, the ones on it are well past it

Engine 2.jpg

Footwell.jpg

rear.jpg

Bulk.jpg

Engine.jpg

You'll get on top of it :)

One tip I'd give, seeing as it looks like the bulkhead is in good condition: take the vent rubbers off and check for corrosion behind them, with a fresh lick of paint before fitting new. Same with the rubber strip between the windscreen and bulkhead. These seem to be points where water can trickle through and start rotting the inside of the upper bulkhead parts, so attending to them early can save a lot of headaches down the line. 

3 hours ago, lo-fi said:

You'll get on top of it :)

One tip I'd give, seeing as it looks like the bulkhead is in good condition: take the vent rubbers off and check for corrosion behind them, with a fresh lick of paint before fitting new. Same with the rubber strip between the windscreen and bulkhead. These seem to be points where water can trickle through and start rotting the inside of the upper bulkhead parts, so attending to them early can save a lot of headaches down the line. 

Thanks for that

17 hours ago, winchman10 said:

despartly need some cross ply tyres but just can't afford new we have 3 and 1 radial a friend gave him, the ones on it are well past it

You really' don't need to buy crossplys unless you're doing a rivet-counter resto or want to use it for drifting* :ph34r:

Should be cheap & easy to find a set of decent tyres either whatever size is on there now or 7.50R16 or 235/85R16 which are the ones that almost everyone fits. The smaller size (or damn near it) are standard on RR, Disco, and most short-wheelbases (88, 90) and people pull them off all the time to upgrade to bigger so decent sets aren't hard to find used. Anyone breaking Range Rovers / Discos should have stacks of them.

*=Into the nearest ditch

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You really' don't need to buy crossplys unless you're doing a rivet-counter resto or want to use it for drifting* :ph34r:

Should be cheap & easy to find a set of decent tyres either whatever size is on there now or 7.50R16 or 235/85R16 which are the ones that almost everyone fits. The smaller size (or damn near it) are standard on RR, Disco, and most short-wheelbases (88, 90) and people pull them off all the time to upgrade to bigger so decent sets aren't hard to find used. Anyone breaking Range Rovers / Discos should have stacks of them.

*=Into the nearest ditch

We have 3 Cross plys and one radial so easier to find two cross plys so should be easier to find 750's

The 2" wider 235 will make it a bit heavier on the steering

31 minutes ago, winchman10 said:

We have 3 Cross plys and one radial so easier to find two cross plys so should be easier to find 750's

The 2" wider 235 will make it a bit heavier on the steering

If your buying new 7.50 tyres you will struggle like I did a couple of months ago and ended up buying a set of 235's 

20190812_123948.jpg

20190812_123932.jpg

• Like 1

Something else to consider, other than cross ply giving poorer grip: old tyres are lethal. Rubber hardens with age and provides very little grip, so even if there's tons of tread they're often far more dangerous than bald tyres. If you can't dig a nail into it or it's shiny, don't use it.