Engine assembly essentials

Gazzar

Hopefully I'll start the rebuild of my 2495 petrol this month.

I've never built an engine, I've done a few cylinder heads, but never an engine.

What assembly essentials do I need? Lubes, sealants, greases, thread lockers? 

I think I've most things, but don't want to be half way into something and realise I'm without......

Ring pliers. 

Valve spring compressor (I have a couple of sets, happy to post you one). 

Assembly lube. 

Plastigauge. 

Dial indicator with magnetic base. 

Should be all you need above the stuff you already have or need for a head gasket job 

1 minute ago, Gazzar said:

Assembly lube? How is that different from normal stuff? I've all the rest, except the plastic gauge, which I'll get.

Cams come with assembly lube (at least mine did), I think it's stickier so hangs around while the oil pressure comes up on the first start.

Yes, I'll use brake cleaner, and dress the threads, and I used pipe when I was taking the pistons out, figured that one fairly quick. It's a good tip, thanks.

IMG_20191230_151815.jpg

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Ring pliers. 

Valve spring compressor (I have a couple of sets, happy to post you one). 

Assembly lube. 

Plastigauge. 

Dial indicator with magnetic base. 

Should be all you need above the stuff you already have or need for a head gasket job 

Thanks for the offer, I have one, from years ago. 

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

Assembly lube? How is that different from normal stuff? I've all the rest, except the plastic gauge, which I'll get.

Yep, Fridge nailed it. Clings to whatever you put it on, doesn't run off or out while you complete the rest of the build. Not essential, but great knowing you've given the bearings the best chance possible as the oil system primes. 

Sounds like you're all set! 

• 2 weeks later...

For my strip down I noted and numbered every action on my laptop and used numbered ziplock bags to contain the removed components.  Also, take photos, lots and lots of them, since they don't cost anything.  My complete vehicle strip down is recorded in nearly 700 actions and just under 600 photos.  And I didn't take enough!

Mike

On 2/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Cams come with assembly lube (at least mine did), I think it's stickier so hangs around while the oil pressure comes up on the first start.

And for the rest of the engine I'd use Graphogen (graphited engine assembly paste). I was put into this stuff years ago by Richard Turner (Turner Engineering). He builds all his engines with it. Like the cam lube Fridge mentioned it will not run off over time, so you'll get good first start protection.

Also wear some nitrile gloves, as the Graphogen will make your hands very black 😁

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 7:42 AM, mickeyw said:

And for the rest of the engine I'd use Graphogen (graphited engine assembly paste). I was put into this stuff years ago by Richard Turner (Turner Engineering). He builds all his engines with it. Like the cam lube Fridge mentioned it will not run off over time, so you'll get good first start protection.

Also wear some nitrile gloves, as the Graphogen will make your hands very black 😁

Thank you, sounds very useful.