V8 HT leads.. Genuine worth buying?

lo-fi

Hi

She started misfiring a little when driving in the wet, which means it's time for some new leads. 

I'm inclined to buy genuine, but it's getting to be a bit of a lottery with genuine parts these days... You never know what's been bagged up by LR and flogged for a premium. Any suggestions? There's an NGK set available for a reasonable price. Any other brands to look at? 

Cheers! 

Yes, I've used Magnecor leads on loads of things - mainly because they provide better HF ignition-noise suppression than the 'carbon string' leads of old.

NGK are also good - they were my go-to leads for use on turbocharged Ford Cologne V6 lumps in the 90s - everything else used to melt or catch fire but the NGK ones [with the translucent blue cable jacket] never did.

Magnecor are decent quality but very expensive, I got a set custom made by another company called something like "hispeed" (it's in one of the MS threads), but my current sets are all using Nige's DIY kit and work lovely even underwater.

The V8's with a dizzy are quite sensitive to leads etc. as the whole system is so marginal and the spark is quite weak.

Happily I'm running a Mallory dizzy with a Powerspark electronic points conversion, not the usual Lucas garbage. It's been absolutely spot on until now, only let down by the leads. I didn't renew them when I did the engine swap for some reason. 

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I got a set custom made by another company called something like "hispeed" (it's in one of the MS threads),

Fastlane auto? 

Can't find their site any more, though I remember it being a bit obscure when I last looked.... helpful people though.

I have had a set of Magnecor leads fitted for umm 10 years and nearly 85,000 miles.

Thought it might be a good idea to replace them recently when I fitted new cap and rotor arm, bought genuine Lucas leads. It ran like a sick dog, took the Lucas leads off and put the magnecor back on, normal running restored.

Yes they are 'kin expensive but worth it

+2 for Magnecour. They were the only leads that allowed me to go wading without even a misfire (this was a 4.2 with a distributor) - the engine would regularly run in water like this, with the fan spraying it everywhere without even a misfire. Lucas leads and many of the others would just breakdown after a short period of time and would stop dead at the first sign of water. When I spoke to the chaps at Magnecour, they almost guaranteed that it was the longer leads that were failing, but forget why.

Toby

V8 Wading.PNG