Spacer use on springs

Hello LR4x4.com!

I am new to the forum and new to Defenders; I just bought a Hyland Motorsports Urban Warrior Defender 110. The truck leans to drivers side both front and rear, about 1 inch. It has purple orange on both rear springs and yellow on front passenger and white on drivers side, both are single stripe colors on front. The truck has 3400 miles on it and it is a LHD.

I am not sure I understand why it would lean to the drivers side by an inch? I was told a simple fix would be use the one inch spacers off Rovers North to level it out. Is that the best solution and are they mounted at top or bottom of spring. I was looking at part RNA 510 which says can be used on front or rear. 

Thank you so much for any help you can provide and I look forward to learning from the forum!

Army Diver (Michael)

Front & rear springs on 110 are different diameters, rear being larger, so doubt the same spacer will fit both front & rear. 

check the spring colours on here http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

purple orange on both rear springs

not in the above listing. 

yellow on front passenger and white on drivers side,

both have 2 stripes --- http://www.red90.ca/rovers/NRC8044_5.html

if the vehicle has 3400 miles on it , i would return it to the builder , maybee they installed the front springs the wrong way (drivers side at passenger side ) ,  or maybee it was a right hand drive vehicle when imported , and has the springs the wrong way round .

afaik the rear springs are the same left and right .

• Like 1

• Thank you all for the replies, below is a link to the builder. It was built in 2017 and used all new parts, all new build so no donor vehicle. Also the part number of RNA510 from Rovers North states the spacer will work front or rear so hoping that is the case. 

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/aftermarket/2014-urban-warrior-110-sale/

Seems like a bodge to me.  There is something wrong with the springs, their selection or installation, so I think that you should be looking at spring replacement, not some sort of dodgy, asymmetrical patch.

Standard 110 front springs are indeed different lengths as standard by about 3/4".  Standard LR fitment certainly on station wagons for a long time was a white/white and white/yellow. Lord knows why. 

Yes either use spring spacers or just change one of the springs to match.

Also worth noting that chassis' weren't necessarily built to fine tolerances and half an inch here and there isnt unusual - my 110 was built with one front outrigger almost an inch lower than the opposite one, probably on a Friday afternoon. 

I think I just heard many members of the forum sick up in their mouth very slightly.

But, as above, could well be that the front springs are the wrong way round, this will make it low on the rear as well.

Swap them over, you have nothing to lose?

Otherwise it could have been showboating with one front wheel perched on a rock -no spring will like that indefinitely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably best to just replace the springs

Just go RED/RED both sides at the back and yellow/yellow at the front. Gwyn Lewis does some nice 6 mm shims 

A friend with a garage down on the south coast has a customer with a Hyland.  Rust will be a big problem. Get it waxoyled

Thank you all for the responses, I bought the truck from the original owner so going back to the builder is not an option. But no worries as it seems like an easy fix to just match the 2 front springs. I saw those threads on him as well, too bad as customer service is what it is all about.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 10:43 PM, Puffernutter said:

My father-in-law (retired mechanic) always used to say with the older cars that they tended to list to one side (drivers side) as that is where the weight normally was and it was normal.

Just replace the spring as it is tired?

Cheers

Peter

That was just the Series vehicles, as far as I know.  My RRC and my wife’s Defender sat level, as has every well cared for RR, Discovery and Defender that I’ve looked at.