Thin shock absorbers

Bigj66

Does anyone know of a brand of shocks that aren’t around 2” in diameter as my old Procomps were? I’m looking for a set of narrower diameter ones for the front of my Series 3. I think Billies may be a bit narrower but not sure by how much 🤔

8 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Not even close. Stock front shocks are only about 8” long. 

Why do you want narrow shocks?

Just to help reduce the thickness of the required spacer on my axle.

Hopefully Bilstein also do a standard shock in that diameter. I think Spax may be a bit slimmer too...

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Fridge stuck a shock mount to the chassis where a cooler would have one, could do something similar?

To be honest it’s not worth going to that extent as I already have the clearance I need but reducing the diameter of the shock would give a bit more. More nice to have rather than need to have 👍

Mine aren't standard, they're about 5" longer travel than stock, but Bilstein do a lot of shocks in the same or very similar body / series including some bolt-on ones for various applications.

The "series" of shocks is Bilstein 5125, they're the low-end of their high-end if that makes sense, the next ones up have remote reservoirs and stuff but it's the same basic body. Have to say I'd buy them again in a heartbeat, they were night-and-day improvement over ProComps.

Image339.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

My Bilsteins are narrow-ish but did cost a twitch more than ProComps.

Not in the long run!  Pro Comps only last a few years before they rust and leak.  I’m surprised Britpart don’t sell them.

Swapped my Superb over to Bilstiens with new springs and some rubbers at around 180k on the clock. Yeah, the old dampers were knackered (the old how many times does it rebound is not a good test for condition!) and it transformed the ride. Also lifted it a little which stopped it wiping its nose on the tarmac from time to time.

Now got around 267k (been doing negligable miles since June 2018) on the clock and the suspension is not showing signs of degradation. A 1.8t (1.5t curb) independent suspension vehicle is a poor comparison but fair indication on general build quality.

I've been asking questions about dampers on other threads and niw appreciate that ideal damper selection for a custom vehicle is complex. The corner weights of your build will obviously be very different to original. I'm probably going to need to go over spec on dampers so I can get adjustment on them to get them dialled in right. Yeah, I could just stab in the dark and tollerate a reasonable comfort level most of the time, but I really want my vehicle to behave to its best ability that one time I need to take avasive action.

I like the Billies too, had them in my Capri and they were great. I’d have no problem using them again if the dimensions work out ok.

Spax do a good range of adjustable dampers if you want to experiment with handling.