Radiator fan catalogue

Gazzar

I did mean to add , my 90 is a disco 200 Tdi conversion and I fitted a cheaper one from bolt on bits with a switch in the top hose ,although in the past 11 + years I’ve never had it come on I did check it now and again at service time and it still spins up a treat . 

6 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Don't buy Kenlowe they're cack, especially their stats.

And ludicrously overpriced!

I think one of the easiest, neatest and most practical triggers/controllers for a fan is the X-Eng XFan, which is an aluminium tube to be inserted in the rad bottom hose, with a tapping in one side for a thermostatic switch with outputs for two different temperatures, allowing a primary and booster fan, a fan and a warning light or whatever else you choose.  The switch is rated for the full fan current, but I used a relay anyway, and also fitted a manual switch on the dash as a precaution (also means I can preemptively switch the fan on before working the engine hard, preventing the initial rise that would trigger the thermostat).

As for the fan itself, I got a new one from one of the magazine advertisers.  I think it was 14”, but it covers the full height of the rad, which is what you should aim for, so measure the rad.  I think I paid about £50, and it works fine, but though I orders a puller fan (for behind the rad), and though it was marked as a puller on the fan, instructions and box, it was a pusher (for in front of the rad), so I had to remove the fan from the shaft and flip it, and reverse the motor polarity.  That mislabelling in the factory caused me an overheat on the first mountain on an Alpine trip, delaying the convoy for about half an hour while I fixed a shattered tee in the heater hoses.  So, watch out for that.

I’d recommend finding a decent fan of the right diameter from a scrap yard - it’ll likely be more powerful and better quality than what you can buy online.

I have a US one on the 200 Tdi. and went to the breakers with a measurement lint and it covers the radiator completely.

Ele. switch and relay to power it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HampshireHog said:

I did mean to add , my 90 is a disco 200 Tdi conversion and I fitted a cheaper one from bolt on bits with a switch in the top hose ,although in the past 11 + years I’ve never had it come on I did check it now and again at service time and it still spins up a treat . 

The same here

15 hours ago, HampshireHog said:

https://revotec.com/acatalog/Land-Rover-Tailormade-Cooling-Kits.html have you tried these people, a bit on the expensive side but they do sell kits for the 200Tdi  , hope this is of some use

You weren’t kidding about the prices!  Nice to have a complete kit, though, and they did add a relay to the thermostatic switch (which is strikingly similar to the X-Eng design).

I've heard theories that cooling a TDi with a large electric fan can accelerate head gasket failure as the head is alloy and the block is cast and they expand/contract at different rates.

I really like the dual-speed twin-fan setup (so more gentle cooling until really needed) but I don't think it works with an intercooler - shame as you can bolt Freelander dual fans to the back of a standard Defender V8 rad very easily.

6 hours ago, Maverik said:

I've used a fan and cowling from a medeo before on a 300tdi rad/intercooler.

FORD MONDEO MK3 PETROL 1.8 2.0

RADIATOR FAN 01-07 200509679872

I had to trip the cowl slightly but

it was a bloody good fit.

Me too.

Mo