Repair or replace 6 bolt Steering box?

Hi guys, just returned from my second camp to find the steering box is weeping at the bottom seal. 
What’s your thoughts? Easy enough to repair the seal or better to go for a good known box Replacement? 👍

A705A8DF-DC6A-4D7F-B35B-4E0C7CF98FE7.jpeg

FC127461-0ABB-47F5-81E3-8955DCEE4594.jpeg

77288CC8-7848-4231-872E-CDFBD0413C1D.jpeg

C2B0F6AC-BCD8-497C-8DB8-FB554BAE7FFE.jpeg

According to one LR manual the 6-bolt is the heavy duty box, hence why I'm retaining mine on the 127. Not sure what the difference is, and would quite like to know.

Not sure what the insurance would make of fitting a different non-heavy duty one :mellow:

Most people suggest the leak is wear on the shaft around the seal, so new seals rarely seem to provide a solution. Try it if you can get the arm off, but it may not work. I think Zeus used to sell a seal that sits on a different part of the shaft - I dont know if they still do or it the one they had fits the Gemmer box.

18 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

According to one LR manual the 6-bolt is the heavy duty box, hence why I'm retaining mine on the 127. Not sure what the difference is, and would quite like to know.

Not sure what the insurance would make of fitting a different non-heavy duty one :mellow:

The 3 bolt Adwest box is the one listed as "Heavyweight". 

Then the Adwest 4 bolt as "lightweight" and the six bolt is just a Gemmer.

My practical experience of all the boxes would indicate little difference other than the six bolt Gemmer is less prone to leaking.

12 hours ago, reb78 said:

Most people suggest the leak is wear on the shaft around the seal, so new seals rarely seem to provide a solution. Try it if you can get the arm off, but it may not work. I think Zeus used to sell a seal that sits on a different part of the shaft - I dont know if they still do or it the one they had fits the Gemmer box.

This.

A proper box overhaul includes the worn area of the sector shaft being metal sprayed and reground, fitting a seal kit alone rarely works for long.

That's why recon boxes have a poor reputation.

There are companies out there that do a proper job, but they'll be more expensive than the "fit a seal kit and paint it" ones on ebay.

Thanks for the responses guys. I may try the seal to start with to see the outcome. If it goes again, then I’ll look into a proper refurbished box. It’s bone dry everywhere else and has been good in the years I’ve had the truck. 

Don't suppose there’s a good write up in the tech archives? 

19 hours ago, cackshifter said:

Is it possible to get a speedisleeve on there I wonder?

Yes and no.

I did it on my mine but it didn't last.

The problem is the sector shaft is hung on a bearing in the top cap, when you adjust the box you're pulling the shaft/gear upwards and deeper into mesh.

I struggled find a position for the sleeve that still allowed some movement on the shaft.

It was also awkward to peel off the flare at the base of the sleeve (needs to come off or it fouls the seal pack) and that was with the box on the bench.

I thought I posted up some pictures when I did it.

After it leaked again I fitted a proper recon Adwest 4 bolt, as I wanted to fit a Disco drop arm at some point to do away with that stupid ball joint.

Edit to add, yes I did post when I did it, April 2015. No useful pics though.

My repair lasted a few thousand miles before a drip appeared. That's when the four bolt went in, still dry 5 years later.

Edited by pat_pending
Update

On 8/1/2020 at 4:23 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I think it gets worse than that - I've come across a 6 bolt and a HD 6 bolt. I think most Stage 1s / 6 cylinder ones had the HD version fitted.

5 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

I think it gets worse than that - I've come across a 6 bolt and a HD 6 bolt. I think most Stage 1s / 6 cylinder ones had the HD version fitted.

Didn't think Stage 1's or any Series ever had PAS from the factory :huh: