Concrete floor paint recommendations.

MikeAK

Hi,

As the title I'm looking for recommendations for concrete floor paint for my garage please.

It's being screeded this Saturday. It will be between 50mm and 100mm laid on an existing uneven and rough, but sound concrete floor. How long do I need to let it cure before painting?

Thanks

Mike

At least 28 days.

After 28 days put a sheet of clear plastic down flat on the floor. Couple of foot Square should be plenty. Weight it around the edges.

Leave overnight. If there's moisture on the underside of the sheet, then it's still too wet.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

28 days is shorter than I was expecting, which is good news.

I had been looking at the Leyland trade floor paint, so that's what I'll go with. It's stocked at my local hardware suppliers as as well which makes life easier.

Mike

• Like 1

Forgive me for saying this, and don't quote me, but it maybe worth doing some research on drying and curing of different types of cement screeds, conditions and  location.

I am no expert but have had a little experience, in a small domestic way, with screed floors and waiting for the damn things to dry in order to cover.

You have an advantage in that it is not a thick fresh lay but...

I thought it was (on average) (from laying) 1mm per day for 1st 40mm and then 2mm per day for the rest!!

That would be a bit more than a Month in your case. I only say to avoid a peeling issue - which I'm sure you do too.

In addition to the tried and tested test above to get/borrow and damp meter just as an indication of how it's going. Better to leave it too long imo...

Remember too that were are heading into Autumn and the drying rates may be even slower...

Always worth using a proper sealant too before you are ready to paint proper.

HTH.

Regarding the actual paint, Ronseal Diamond Hard floor paint has been a 50/50 success for me. I have used in on a floor and had the paint get pulled up by things like tyres or even just flake off. It's all in the surface preparation, a slightly rougher surface is much better than a completely smooth one and there are PVC glue-like products that are meant for adhesion promotion which definitely worked on my current floor. If you apply it with good surface preparation, the Ronseal paint works well and the only things that have removed it are things that chipped the floor itself.

An inch per month or a mm per day seems to be the general rule for drying, but paints differ and the conditions will affect it a fair bit as above.

That said there is some flexibility in it all. I laid my slab in November last year and painted it at the beginning of May. I used a 2-part epoxy paint, details of which are in my workshop build thread. It’s held up very well, though I have managed to chip it by dropping heavy sharp metal objects on it in a few places.

The 28 day figure is arbitrary and is usually associated with strength gain and standard tests that are done - i.e. "28 day strength"

The screed may have recommended overcoating durations and the paint will certainly say how young the substrate can be. All will be weather sensitive in terms of impact on durations.

The best bits of advice from above are 1. Damp meter, 2 the plastic covering and 3 longer is better!

Rang Leyand Paints tech advice line today.

They stated their floor paint can be used when floor moisture content is less than 8%.

So I will monitor it with a damp meter and wait til its been consistently below 8% at several points across the floor for several days.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just thought I'd report back on floor painting.

I left the floor for about 6 weeks until it was consistently  below 8% and also passing the "plastic sheet test" mentioned my Gazzar.

In the end I didn't use the Leyland floor paint, I used this 2 pack epoxy paint from Regal Paints https://regalpaint.co.uk/floor-paint/garage-floor-paint/two-pack-epoxy-floor-paint-top-coat/

I used the sealer undercoat and the top coat. Instructions said hard drying time 48 hours and full cure 7 days. I left it for 10 days.

I've been moving everything back into the garage over the last few days. The paint has stood up well to having heavy a metal bench moved over it with the inevitable sliding on the floor for the last few inches into position. Also large trolley jack, engine crane, tool chest etc. rolled across the floor. The paint has stood up extremely well, with only very light scuffing but no real damage where the bench was slid into place.

Early days yet but very happy with it so far.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1