Cleaning a cylinder head in the dishwasher

selectcase

A mate of mine told me that dishwashers make great parts cleaners!!! Ive just had my 200tdi cylinder head skimmed & pressure tested but it has a few pieces of crud on the outside and i want to wash out the injector ports

what do you reckon - in the dishwasher with a finish tablet or am I temporarily insane :lol:

ps should i use rinse aid - if my wife sees this post i am dead meat

A mate of mine told me that dishwashers make great parts cleaners!!! Ive just had my 200tdi cylinder head skimmed & pressure tested but it has a few pieces of crud on the outside and i want to wash out the injector ports

what do you reckon - in the dishwasher with a finish tablet or am I temporarily insane :lol:

Tried it years ago on a motorcycle head - not impressed. And that was in a machine with a hot-wash temp of 95degC - they don't seem to go above 65 nowadays...

WRT detergents - most (apparently) have added salt as a water softener.. Don't want that! and apparently washing soda (whatever that is) will dissolve alloy :(

IMHO it would take a lot to beat a decent scrub in a parts washer (or in my bachelor pad - the kitchen sink! :D )...

Rog

I did this with a load of Morris Minor engine parts a few years back - it didn't do a particularly good job of cleaning the parts, and the detergent caused flash rusting of the bare steel.

It took longer to clean the dishwasher afterwards than it would have taken to clean the parts in the first place!

All the best, Glen.

As long as i know sho will out until the cycle has finished I have iften used the dishwasher to clean master / slave cylinders and they come up a treat! :lol::lol:

I can also recommend the washing machine ( no detergent this time ) for all your tow ropes etc. they come out gleaming but for God's sake take all the shackles off first! A good friend now uses contract overalls for the blokes in the factory ever since the big washing machine they had aquired a drum shaped like a 50p one evening. Oh how we still tease him :lol::lol:

David

Cold or luke warm wash with no detergent in the washing machine is great for cleaning ropes - that's how I always do caving ropes. Never, ever, use detergent on anything you rely on for your life - some of them will attack the rope.

I've tried the dishwasher for engine parts before - they need to be fairly well cleaned with degreaser beforehand to get all heavy crud off as it won't shift that, but it will then do a pretty good job of bringing them up nice and shiny. Frankly, by the time you've got the worst off you might as well carry on and finish the job by hand.

The biggest downside to using the dishwasher is that it'll stink for a couple of weeks afterwards, as will all your crockery, so don't think SWMBO won't work out what you've been up to just because she doesn't catch you in the act...

Is this safe to do in an everyday kitchen dishwasher?

Just wondering as I've heard that used engine oil may be a carcinogen.