Driver door won’t shut

Driver door always needed a good few slams and the hinges were super worn so thought that was the hinges. Got new hinges and the door still doesn’t shut. Goes to latch one okay but not to full latch. If I remove the latch from the body and try and slide it onto the latch it still won’t go but it does on the passenger side. If I use a screwdriver in the latch it does latch to position 2. I don’t see anything blocking the door.  Is there secret adjustment options?

I had this issue. Cleaning it and lubricating it just delayed the inevitable by a couple of months. I then replaced it with a pattern part and then had to revisit the job shortly after with the genuine part. The blue box ones are terrible. 

Save up for a genuine latch and also get the x-eng striker. The difference is amazing. 

3 hours ago, monkie said:

I had this issue. Cleaning it and lubricating it just delayed the inevitable by a couple of months. I then replaced it with a pattern part and then had to revisit the job shortly after with the genuine part. The blue box ones are terrible. 

Save up for a genuine latch and also get the x-eng striker. The difference is amazing. 

I had this on both doors a few years ago, the mechanisms do wear out, just changed out with genuine new latch mechanisms and never looked back, its a bit of a fiddly job but its not all that difficult.

Try taking the door seal of and testing the lock - an excessively hard or thick door seal (I’m looking at you, Britpart) stops the door itself from closing to the position needed for good latching, but even new genuine seals can do this (which is why it was so common to see new Defenders have the back edge of the doors sick out a few mm when shut, and leak around the top in the rain).  You might get away with moving the door striker pin outboard a little.

As snagger says, move the striker out a fraction or even up/down.

mine used to take a good slam to shut but after a few speed humps and the latch let go by 1 click. Didn’t fly open as second click held it. But makes ya jump a little. 
I can’t remember if it was the up or down that fixed it, it’s just trial n error

good luck 

"an excessively hard or thick door seal (I’m looking at you, Britpart)" 

Not the case. They may have been thick & hard in the past but I researched this thoroughly earlier in the year and satisfied that they were as good as genuine I bought a pair and they lived up to expectations. Soft & flexible with air-holes and reinforcing where necessary they fit & seal well while allowing the door to close fully. Also they clip into place very well and are in no danger of coming loose, something my old ones were doing all to easily.

I agree that my genuine ones had lasted well (I bought & fitted them 18-years ago) but they were past there best and the BP ones do the job perfectly while being very competitively priced. 

Have you removed the door seal just to see if that makes any difference? 

I don't know if Britpart have altered the door seals they sell but I have had them in the past and they didn't resemble the genuine part in any way. 

"I don't know if Britpart have altered the door seals they sell but I have had them in the past and they didn't resemble the genuine part in any way." 

As per my earlier reply, there is quite a lot about the new BP seals on-line and it certainly looks like they have changed the design. Bearing in mind they only cost about £10 each they resemble the genuine item and feel / act exactly the same way. Of course having only had mine fitted since earlier this year I can't tell whether they will last as long as genuine (18-years) but at a fraction of the price they could be replaced several times.

1 hour ago, Litch said:

"I don't know if Britpart have altered the door seals they sell but I have had them in the past and they didn't resemble the genuine part in any way." 

As per my earlier reply, there is quite a lot about the new BP seals on-line and it certainly looks like they have changed the design. Bearing in mind they only cost about £10 each they resemble the genuine item and feel / act exactly the same way. Of course having only had mine fitted since earlier this year I can't tell whether they will last as long as genuine (18-years) but at a fraction of the price they could be replaced several times.

Please can you add a link to detail their design change? As per my reply, I don't know if they have actually altered them (when this happened, why it happened and when what exactly happened). But as you say they are significantly cheaper.

Since we're talking seals... (Defender 20tdi) I got fed up with driving around with doors half closed (half open?). Took both (destroyed, 30-y/o) seals out and checked/replaced the striker plates, oiled the catches and made sure that both would click onto one then two without too much force. Then reattached strikers to the body and filed out the holes where needed until i was happy with door closing, still without the seals. Now for the innovation.... I have a 2-door defender and am using trimmed-down middle-door seals from a 2000 Ford Galaxy/VW Alhambra. Cost me 0€ and seal perfectly.... Obviously, if you're a Defender2 type then this won't help you, but if you're looking for cheap and cheerful solutions, it's a winner :)

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 5:22 PM, Litch said:

"an excessively hard or thick door seal (I’m looking at you, Britpart)" 

Not the case. They may have been thick & hard in the past but I researched this thoroughly earlier in the year and satisfied that they were as good as genuine I bought a pair and they lived up to expectations. Soft & flexible with air-holes and reinforcing where necessary they fit & seal well while allowing the door to close fully. Also they clip into place very well and are in no danger of coming loose, something my old ones were doing all to easily.

I agree that my genuine ones had lasted well (I bought & fitted them 18-years ago) but they were past there best and the BP ones do the job perfectly while being very competitively priced. 

The BP tailgate seal for my RRC was so thick that I put the tired old one back on - it didn’t pop the upper tailgate open going over speed bumps like the BP one did.  Mike at Britannica Restorations did a few videos about their seals, comparing them to genuine with his “pen of truth” and had similar experiences to me, so you may have been lucky.  Of course, contracts and sources change, different batches may come from different sources or be made to vary specs, and more recent Gen Parts appear to have taken a significant dip in quality.

Okay, quick trial latching with just the x catch in my hand and pushing into the door latch and it will latch nicely on the drivers side so maybe my other latch got a bit mangled with the alignment being out but the loose hinges letting it slam / bounce into place.

22 hours ago, mad_pete said:

Shiny

2C96CAE3-62C6-4CE9-BED8-0B748B271D0A.jpeg.11db0928bdb90672b4076ee3e5a76ec6.jpeg

They are nicely made and should prevent so many clothes snagging and tearing on the catches, but they shouldn’t affect lock operation at all.  That is down to adjustment of their position on the B pillar.