Prepping a ‘new’ Defender for off-road work

Hi all, 

Long time watcher, first time posted. So, we finally got some land to start making a forest (as you do). This has allowed me to realise a bucket list ambition and get a ‘89 Defender 110. She’s lovely and going to be really nice with a bit of work. 

As expected, in stock form (original wheel and tire sizes too) it struggles in the field a great deal. It has four challenges: the field is REALLY steep in two directions, there is a large stream at the bottom which means everywhere within about 15 metres has much softer soil (and is too deep for that ‘cut through the soil to harder stuff underneath’ idea), and the field currently has 50cm+ grass which gets damned slippery when wet. The field’s about 100m wide, so there’s nothing to attach a winch to unless you’re at the top of the hill (where the defender doesn’t struggle). 

The first expedition to the field it did great, even by the stream, and then the rain came. Bogged in and almost slipped into the stream. I tried a rescue in fairer weather, and after making it about two vehicle lengths up the hill on recovery boards, the rain came back and washed it straight back down. 

So the question then is what are the most cost-effective options to handle moving about the field better? So far considering:

LSD(s) because you’re basically always on a slant and evening out the drive power would help (I found I couldn’t ever get both wheels to drive, even on the boards).

Diff lock(s) for the same reason, but more expensive. Would they be worth it?

Bigger tyres because the narrow ones even lost grip on the boards 😅 How big can one go before lifting, and is it worth going bigger?

Add a winch and dig a looooot of big holes?? 😂

What would you recommend?

First off welcome to the forum. Unfortunately if the field is very soft in bad weather your going to struggle no matter what set up you have  you can get flotation tyres but these will extend well out with your body work, lsd's lockers etc will help but if the ground is as soft as you say you will just get even more stuck, personally a winch and ground anchor will be the way to go with a long term plan of putting some hardcore road building in . Most vehicles will struggle on steep wet grassy slopes without a decent run at it of course if you've got bags of money you can fit a tracked set up to each corner regards Stephen

I'd agree that (assuming you've RTFM and actually have 4WD properly engaged) tyres will be the biggest and most effective single modification you can make.

Depending what else you want to do with it, a set of decent knobbly MT's (Mud Terrain) or worse will make a huge difference.

After that, see how you go - if the field is going to be a boggy ice-rink very often there may not be much that's going to make your life easier, lockers can help if there's *some* traction but on a sloping slick field they may not help at all, and a winch & ground anchor is fine for once or twice but it's hard work and will make a mess of the field in short order.

The cheapest and most effective answer could very well be to improve the state of the bit of field you're driving over.

32” with no rubbing, 235/85 16 is popular or 33” with a little, trimming of the plastic arches will remove most if not all of it. 255/85 16’s are a good size, but now more difficult to get decent mud tyres in this size. 

Ashcroft lsd or arb locker in the rear will help, and is probably the best you can do to avoid getting stuck.

Personally I'd go for 285/75x16 bfg km3 muds (33”) depending on how tired your suspension is will dictate if they rub (a 1" lift and small trim of the aches should solve it). I wouldn't go to simex type tyres because you'll just dig deeper holes. Fit a winch and learn how to use it properly. Then as Bowie says I would set up 3 permanent ground anchors (only needs to be a fence post driven well into the ground). However long term I would put a hardcore track top to bottom at least then you can winch to that and drive out.

Mike

Reducing weight also brings improvement  - I'm not a fan of winches as combined with the necessary bumper and extra battery etc it adds a lot of KGs -  if you're going to need to regularly winch yourself out maybe you're better off with a quad in the first place? Resist the urge to put a roofrack on (especially if dealing with steep sideslopes), don't fill the back with junk, hilift jacks etc.  A good set of treads on a light Defender gets you a lot of places.   

• Like 1