Rear Crossmember - Tow-bar M16 Threads Stripped

Long story but just imported our 110 Puma (2016) and the importer took off the factory fitted tow-bar. During the process they have stripped the M16 threads (lower 2 holes) in the crossmember.

What repair options should i look at? Is it a full backing plate can i get the holes re-drilled and tapped? or are they captured nuts?

There aren't any peep holes to look in from the front or bottom.

Thanks for the help

Loose top bolts.jpeg

If you can get them out, drilling larger and tapping for a slightly bigger bolt is probably easiest?

Try levering behind the head as you turn them - if you are lucky the thread will catch and they will wind out. 

They must have used some force to strip them!

Coming back to this and looking again ...

I'd still be very surprised if they are stripped !

I used to repair damaged bosses on new vehicles and even the very finest monkeys the production line could provide with very powerful air tools could not strip an M16. Cross thread and try to ram it home, yes, but not strip.

Are they the right sized bolts ? The heads look quite small.

Remove a bolt, put a picture up and let's have a look at it.

Noting that the plate has dropped by a 1/4 inch or so, says the bolts are too small to me. If the threads were stripped it wouldn't drop that much.

If they are stripped then the bosses could be helicoiled or broken out and feed new boss plates in on a wire.

Tapping from the back would resolve a cross thread but if no access then I'd drill a short lead onto the thread of the boss and then try to pick up the correct thread with a tap (but that's an experience thing !)

Mo

• Like 1

Agree with Glue.  The difference between an M10 and M16 is just about the 1/4 inch that the plate has dropped.  If they are M10, how have they been secured?  Has the importer bodged nuts or a nut plate inside, or even welded them in?  Best of luck, and let us know what you find.

Mike

On 2/26/2021 at 8:47 AM, western said:

Why would the importer remove a factory fitted towbar, I reckon the import company should fix it or at least compensate you for the damage caused. 

I agree with Western on this. Was the vehicle yours before it was imported or did you buy it from the importer as is (inc tow bar problem)?

Are you sure they are striped, those heads don't look like m16. If the are striped just drill them with a 17mm bit put new m16 bolts right through to the rear side put a backing plate say 6 or 8 mm thick. Thats you sorted the old tow pack was fixed like that.