New member looking for wisdom

Tsjackson

Hello!

I’ve just joined on behalf of my dad who refuses to believe that a landrover forum is the best source of information and wisdom on landrovers... il bring him round but for now it’s me.

a few years ago he bought a working, MOT’d 1981 (I think) series III SWB landrover. I believe it has a 2.25 diesel, it’s a light green colour and as far as I’m aware pretty much original.

he’s been doing it up over the last few years in dribs and drabs, by which I mean paying a mate of his to do it in his workshop when he’s not busy with actual work and one thing that’s been suggested in the restoration has encouraged me to join a forum and ask for some wisdom.

As well as the series sat in his mates workshop, my dad has a fully functioning 4.2 litre V8 twin turbo Audi Quattro lump. 

you can probably see where this is going...

His mate is confident it can be done, he’s a very competent mechanic.

I wondered should it be done. Ive got no doubt it would be fun, or funny I guess depending on if I was spectating or driving during the first drive.

But as the original LR lump seems fully functional, albeit sluggish are vehicles like this regarded better with original engines/colour/wheels etc? 

I only questioned it as my father in law is a Jaguar anorak, and all of his cars he restores painstakingly with original parts where possible, and wouldn’t dream of an engine swap. Although I’m not sure what anyone would swap a Jaguar V12 for...

sorry for the far too long initial post, Thanks for any info, insight or wisdom anyone fancies sharing

Keep it original , with that monster you would end up with different gearbox/transfer box , axles and brakes and steering too probably. 

Find something else for the V8 and build a more modern sleeper ... P38 Range Rover ? cheap to buy currently and already PAS , disc all round ABS etc 

Welcome to the forum too - have a look around for some of the other engine swaps that have been done on here 

Steve b

• Thanks 1

Welcome from Basingstoke :D

It certainly can be done although the Audi lump might prove wider than is convenient for a Series engine bay. And physically bolting the engine in the hole is very much the easy part.

If it's an original Series you'll be nuking the originality / value of it by doing so - there's plenty of already hacked-about Defenders out there that would give you a much better starting point, or as Steve B suggests something less beloved like a Range Rover Classic or D2 / P38 could be a far better prospect for all sorts of reasons.

As someone who has a 4.6 V8 in a Series 3 I can tell you that if you do it you will end up changing every other part of the vehicle too - the brakes will be terrifying and there's no easy/cheap path to improving them which leads to Defender/Range Rover axles which leads to coil springs which leads to it being a total unoriginal mess... you'll probably want power steering (chassis mods, bulkhead mods), you'll definitely need to chuck the original gearbox & transfer box out and the standard axles are really not going to enjoy racing starts with triple their design HP. You'll need to uprate the cooling system, do a lot of wiring, complete custom exhaust, the fuel tank isn't going to take a modern EFi pump without mods...

My conversion was easy as it's all pretty much LR parts-bin with a Rover V8, with the Audi lump you might struggle to find a gearbox & transfer box that matches up and puts the propshafts where the axles expect them - depends if you adapt the Audi lump to a JLR gearbox & transfer box, or adapt an Audi box to a LR transfer box, or some other combination...

If you want a bit more oomph in a Series there's tuning bits for the 2.25 as they're very de-tuned for poor fuel etc., the likes of ACR and Turner Engineering do heads & cams and I'm pretty sure you can swap the 2.25 main block for the later 2.5 (Defender) lump with zero mods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for your response, it’s pretty much what I’ve been saying to him since the topic came up.

when he bought it his exact words to me were that it was an investment, and then immediately went on to talk about changing the colour and making it a canvas topped convertible which I’m not sure is a wonderful idea but far less intrusive than putting a non rover V8 into it. 

I will pass all this on, out of interest regarding things like colour and configuration etc do these things matter so much? 

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Seriously, last of the series vehicles, seems to me you really should keep it as factory as possible if you want it as an investment. 

It’s not mine, unfortunately haha it’s my dads. I’ve told him this and he’s so far not been convinced otherwise into not doing it.

I suspect that he can’t change an air filter, let alone appreciate the intricacies and irreversible work needed to be done to install a non rover engine into his series. 

I will be having words with him, with you lot as backup thanks very much

Not so much , but if it's original paint you only get that once . Full canvas is quite fashionable at the moment and is nice to use and doesn't require any body mods - just buy a frame and good canvas (Undercover covers , Birmingham) . The tail gate would need the anti-luce latches  if it is a factory Hard top with a door so a couple of holes to drill in rear cappings .

Steve

• Thanks 1

Your dad needs to listen to you and the contributions from the vastly experienced forum guys above, the more original the greater the future investment. I only fitted an old 3.5 v8 into my series 3 lightweight years ago and that needed bulkhead modification and then as stated transmission mods, brake mods etc once you go down that path it becomes an ongoing journey and ultimately reducing your investment, soft top as stated, truck cab etc are good mods as can be found from factory, plus they are easily reversible.

Your dad's mate may be a very competent mechanic, but there's a hell of a lot of unseen and unaccounted for work in any modification especially ones that are out of the norm, just look in the modified and special build section on this forum, some of these modifications can take years to complete even when giving them a good amount of time.

Convince him to finish off what he originally started and then drive and enjoy it, as it never fails to bring a smile to anyones face regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Your dad needs to listen to you and the contributions from the vastly experienced forum guys above, the more original the greater the future investment. I only fitted an old 3.5 v8 into my series 3 lightweight years ago and that needed bulkhead modification and then as stated transmission mods, brake mods etc once you go down that path it becomes an ongoing journey and ultimately reducing your investment, soft top as stated, truck cab etc are good mods as can be found from factory, plus they are easily reversible.

Your dad's mate may be a very competent mechanic, but there's a hell of a lot of unseen and unaccounted for work in any modification especially ones that are out of the norm, just look in the modified and special build section on this forum, some of these modifications can take years to complete even when giving them a good amount of time.

Convince him to finish off what he originally started and then drive and enjoy it, as it never fails to bring a smile to anyones face regards Stephen

I will be firmly putting forward the case for originality. I’m anticipating a phone call when he finishes work in a bit as I’ve been sending him screenshots and photos all night haha.

maybe il offer to buy it off him as is, and finish it myself. although I’m guessing these days it’s worth more than I can stomach. 

thank you guys for all your help, I will keep telling him if he wants to restore an old series he really needs to join the forum...

The only photo he has on his phone currently is a bit of a let down to say the least, il try and get some more

I’ve got no photos of my father in laws jags unfortunately, they’re all in various states of undress. He’s got an e type, XJS, XJ12 those 3 are all v12 manuals and a mk2, mk9. 

02A47252-2247-4041-B42E-C29ACB626C34.jpeg

I’m with the others.  Fitting that Audi engine would need so many other mods that it’d utterly destroy the character of the car and make it almost worthless.  If he is very unhappy with the performance, then a 12J 2.5l diesel is a sympathetic upgrade.  It won’t set the world alight, but it goes well if you don’t have a roof rack or trailer on it and the engine is properly set up - it’ll do 70 with an overdrive and flat road with no headwind.  I had one for years in my 109, and having rebuilt it, it was extremely reliable, just a bit slow when I hit hills or winds on the motorway as I do have a rack (and a lot more accessories that add drag).  A Tdi from a Defender or Discovery goes very well, but is a tad noisy. If it’s not a daily vehicle for moderate to long distance travel, then fettling what you have is the better option, especially as an investment - any modifications will only lower the value.  

Even changing paint colour does that, but since it has previously been painted a non standard colour (you added the photo while I was writing), stripping it and returning to the original colour would add value, as would removing the paint from the galvanised body cappings and fitting a SIII rear door in place of the Defender door currently installed.  I don’t think a rag top would reduce its value, and could add a little, but keep the hard top safe.  Undercover covers are definitely the supplier to use.

Is there any more left of the Lightweight next to it, or only the chassis?  They’re more valuable than the regular models, for comparative condition and originality.

• Thanks 1

Just for a guide - @Bigj66 is currently putting a Rover V8 and auto box into a Series, which is a far easier prospect than an Audi lump, and his build thread shows just how much work is involved in even a relatively simple and well-trodden conversion:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

To clarify that, he is trying to squeeze a V8 + the much longer auto box into an 88", not often done, something none of us encouraged him to do at all, honest guv.   😇

True, but both of those units were at least designed to fit into a Land Rover chassis.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tsjackson said:

I’ve got no photos of my father in laws jags unfortunately, they’re all in various states of undress. He’s got an e type, XJS, XJ12 those 3 are all v12 manuals and a mk2, mk9.

A manual XJS V12 is a very rare beast! I'd love one of those, but so few made I had to settle for a later automatic.

I can only echo all the other comments on this thread: keep the Serieus standard(ish). The Audi V8 might be good engine, but an old Land Rover is not were it will shine. And would involve a huge amount of work and cost.

Filip

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 6:32 AM, Tsjackson said:

The only photo he has on his phone currently is a bit of a let down to say the least, il try and get some more

02A47252-2247-4041-B42E-C29ACB626C34.jpeg

Could be the photo or the lighting, but that paint doesn't appear original to me. Apologies if I'm wrong, it just seems a bit off somehow?

On 5/18/2021 at 10:41 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

I see two Series in that photo, maybe the 2nd one (rolling chassis) would be the ideal silly project base as you're not butchering a complete vehicle.

Blasphemer, destroying a lightweight by sticking a souped up engine in it. Shame.