Testing Speedo

Having done the TD5 instrument conversion, I need to confirm if the speedo is now working as I suspect it's not. The problem is, I can't get up to any speed on my property to test it so the only way I will know if it works is on the way to the MOT. And if it doesn't work, that's a failed MOT.

Is there any (safe) way to fool the speedo into working for a test while stationary? I'm thinking raising a wheel/axle, but I know the T-box might not like the differece in speed if the other axle is not moving.

Any ideas expect for breaking the law much appreciated.

I might be wrong but I don't think a working Speedo is part of the mot yes it must display mileage but I've never seen them test it to see it show speed. I know for a fact my dad took a kit car for an MOT where the Speedo only worked in reverse (he sorted it later) and that still passed but it was a few years ago.

Mike

8 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Connect the green doofer that goes into the gearbox to some kind of drill chuck and spin it up?

Thats not a bad idea...

5 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I might be wrong but I don't think a working Speedo is part of the mot yes it must display mileage but I've never seen them test it to see it show speed. I know for a fact my dad took a kit car for an MOT where the Speedo only worked in reverse (he sorted it later) and that still passed but it was a few years ago.

Mike

I did check and it read as though if fitted, it must work but I could re-read it. Being able to run it up reliably in the garage and know I should be seeing a response will make it a lot easier to diagnose though.

5 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Thats not a bad idea...

I did check and it read as though if fitted, it must work but I could re-read it. Being able to run it up reliably in the garage and know I should be seeing a response will make it a lot easier to diagnose though.

Before I did the td5 speedo conversion, my old speedo was dead for I think 2 MOTs, never queried. 

If you've got axle stands, or some suitable blocking, raise both rear wheels for two wheel drive, or all four wheels for four-wheel drive, off the ground and run the engine as normal.  If you also have a rev counter, or even just a hand-held tachometer, you can compare indicated speed with indicated rpm and get at least an idea of how accurate/inaccurate the speedometer is.

Mike

16 hours ago, miketomcat said:

... I don't think a working Speedo is part of the mot yes it must display mileage but ...

I've got several MoT certs where the mileage is entered as 'Unreadable' without comment. For a while the Ibex had a broken VDO speedo where the LCD mileage readout was blank (and the needle went straight to 180mph as soon as the car started moving).

It's one of those oddities in the test, if it's obviously not working it's a fail, but there is no actual "test" to check it's working.

However when using a decelerometer (as opposed to rollers) to test the brakes, it would be obvious whether it was working or not.

There's also no requirement for it to display the correct or in fact any mileage reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally tested the speedo, no drill/equipment/additional live feeds were needed, just put the ignition in II position as the provides the positive and negative paths. I could get it to show 10mph only spinning it by hand which seems unrealistically fast for what must be 100rpm at most, but at least I know the gauge is getting a feed, accuracy is another issue that I will have to test on the road.

• Like 1