300 tdi 50th Anniversary?

I have never heard of such a model. AFAIK all 50th Anniversary models were 4 litre V8 engined 90s. According to Wiki a total 1071 50th anniversary Defenders were built; 385 for the UK home market,

Picture here is from Google.

There is an owners group https://www.defender50th.co.uk/ so I would ask there perhaps.

Also a Faceache group for this model,https://www.facebook.com/groups/726924764102357

image.png.fdfcea4b3a33a56dbb48372fef3a359e.png

There was the 200 Tdi engined soft topped 90 SV bult in the early 1990s but only 90 of those were made. Could it be that you are thinking of?

It looks like a reasonably tidy 300Tdi 90 hard top that is fitted with Landrover's Freestyle alloy wheels which were an option of the day, or easily retrofitted if say salvaged from an old Discovery 1.

Someone has swapped the vinyl Defender badge on the rear for a pressed aluminium one from a Series vehicle. I can't see anything to back up their claims.

The 50th anniversary models, as with other limited editions all carry a series number plaque. We had a 110 'Silver' edition at one point and that had Special Vehicles build plaques on the seat box. If this was anything special I'd be highlighting the evidence to prospective buyers.

I note that in one paragraph the ad says '50th anniversary spec'. This I don't get at all. The 50th was a petrol V8, automatic transmission with a custom centre console, station wagon body painted in Atlantis blue, had a semi external roll bar and had the Freestyle alloys and 265 BFG tyres and came in. The only similar feature the truck for sale has is the wheels.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I am highly dubious that this is anything more than a smart looking 300 Tdi 90. You could always ask the seller for evidence to back up their claim ;) 

image.png.9bd4e46cac442c8c24c1bd40e2239dc3.png

• Like 1

That’s such a detailed response Mickey, thank you. My gut feeling was that it may not be 100% genuine but it’s good to have the input of someone who knows what they’re talking about!

I did think about that 😆 and wondered what the seller may come back with...

2 hours ago, Swimboy said:

I did think about that 😆 and wondered what the seller may come back with...

Why not try them. If they get all shirty then I'd smell a rat. Personally I'd be more than happy to prove to a buyer that something is what I say it is. My gut is that the description is to help justify a higher selling price. 

13 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Surely if it was a factory special edition it would have a special vehicles plate. That said it could be part of a special vehicles order and the seller thinks that's a special edition.

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm not convinced that you are right. My parents run a 90" td5 "x-tech" which apparently was a small batch of 150 ish vehicles and it has no special edition badges or the like.

I have never heard of a 300 tdi anniversary edition either though 🙂

/mads

51 minutes ago, Swimboy said:

Thanks for your responses! Considering these and that it’s not a “proper” limited edition, I think it’s too expensive for a tidy 300 tdi...

Summarized very well in my opinion - I think the Seller is clutching at straws to get the most out of it - fair play, but you sir took the wise decision to ask on here first ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maverik said:

Summarized very well in my opinion - I think the Seller is clutching at straws to get the most out of it - fair play, but you sir took the wise decision to ask on here first ;) 

Thank you - yes, I agree. Glad I came to the right place! 😉👍

2 minutes ago, Will@LRW said:

I hadn't heard of them but checking a James Taylor book, he has a paragraph about them. 200 made he reckons

300tdi-50-anniversary.thumb.jpg.cf8347f9daa556d929a6ab266be3409c.jpg

Well found that man, that describes the offending vehicle to a "T" down to the interior details! - I found the advert on car and classic earlier, got a few more pics.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Its genuine (and I own the van in the photo.....although didn't pay that for it! Bought it a while back so not sure if he has another and is using old photos?).

3 sets of run off 300tdi's, all hardtops and in either rioja, cobar or woodcote (I've never found out how many confirmed builds there were) but it is a 50th anniversary diesel hardtop (and I've seen others for sale in both red and blue but never green).

Factory spec included:

• Chequer plate to the wing tops, sills and rear quarters
  • Glass sun roof
  • Alloy gear and transfer knobs and window winders
  • Perforated leather covered steering wheel
  • Un-numbered alloy Land Rover badge on rear in place of plastic badge
  • Tornado wheels with grey centres.
  • Centre seat and fabric in Rayleigh.

I've never had confirmation that the chrome A bar was part of the factory package (but haven't seen one without it) but it didn't come with the spots as standard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IHOD said:

Its genuine (and I own the van in the photo.....although didn't pay that for it! Bought it a while back so not sure if he has another and is using old photos?).

3 sets of run off 300tdi's, all hardtops and in either rioja, cobar or woodcote (I've never found out how many confirmed builds there were) but it is a 50th anniversary diesel hardtop (and I've seen others for sale in both red and blue but never green).

Factory spec included:

• Chequer plate to the wing tops, sills and rear quarters
  • Glass sun roof
  • Alloy gear and transfer knobs and window winders
  • Perforated leather covered steering wheel
  • Un-numbered alloy Land Rover badge on rear in place of plastic badge
  • Tornado wheels with grey centres.
  • Centre seat and fabric in Rayleigh.

I've never had confirmation that the chrome A bar was part of the factory package (but haven't seen one without it) but it didn't come with the spots as standard.

Great first post - just missing some pictures 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1