Hub Seal Fitting Tool

cookie64

I have got one of the generic bearing/bush puller and press kits. Very rarely use it for that but very frequently use it in the hydraulic press to press out bearings and also use it to install Land Rover hub bearings and hub seals. The kit comes with a large range of sizes (hidden under each other) so you can normally find something that works. It won't fit the seal at exactly 5mm below the surface like the smart tool above but then you can use this for lots of other things too

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/bearing-puller-press-27-pc-tool-set-2061049

I have used it to remove rear L322 hub bushes in situ when the drive shaft won't come out and also the rear sub frame bushes on an L322

On 12/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, Mossberg said:

Ah, many thanks.

I don't have a lathe so was considering cutting a similar thing with two disks fixed together- probably cut from a chopping board etc.

What material have you cut from, nylon?

Yep that’s nylon

for reference I use an old outer bearing race with a slot cut through it for knocking bearings in (the slot means you can pull it back out by hand) 

and I believe people also use a front hub drive flange to knock in hub seals as it will also set the seal about 5mm in, just ensure to use a soft faced mallet to avoid damaging the splined hole 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 4:37 AM, Snagger said:

That’s what I use too.

Isn't that the official way?

I'm building up a collection of drifts for this sort of task.

IMG_20211218_162834.thumb.jpg.da62bbc1fab2b766a784aa40411c8d90.jpg

A series mainbox bearing outer for the Salisbury diff pinion seal.