How to dismantle a 1997 V8 Disco

Phill S

7 hours ago, Phill S said:

Ok - thanks guys. Slightly concerned about No.3 though. If that;s OAT the cooling system would have to have been flushed through thoroughly. I'll be watching out for the danger signals...

Looks like OAT to me.. I was told there is only 2 colours for coolants. What is standard then.

4 hours ago, missingsid said:

What is standard then

I'd assumed it would have come out of the factory with Bluecol or equivalent, which obviously could be a problem if the engine wasn't properly flushed through. I'd be delighted to hear it would have come out of the factory with OAT - offers better anti-corrosion etc. Would also save me some investigative dismantling of water pump etc...

Well, the dismantling is moving along, but how on earth do you get the top off of the gear shift?

20220126_152429.thumb.jpg.2c98f598de83474298aeb94e6547c990.jpg

I've repeatedly searched through the workshop manual, but the references seem to take me round in a circle. Any insights welcome!

In other news, I finally find something I recognise...

20220126_141138.thumb.jpg.f2ffde0cb937d724e612c6a34558e7c5.jpg

Interestingly, the valley gasket seems to have it's own sticky stuff around the ports that has stood up very well over the last 25 years - I'm pretty sure the inlet manifold hasn't been off before. I'd be very interested to know if anybody knows if this kind of gasket is still available? You can see in the picture the difference between the black stuff around the ports and the regular metal part

Good progress!

The different colors on the valley gasket are normal, it's what we usually find when taking apart an older engine. The sides under the manifold still have the original black coating, the center has been worn down to the metal by dirt, oil, heat, ...

I think you need to pry off part of the gear knob to get to the screw or clip underneath. At least on a Range Rover, this looks slightly different but should have the same base.

18 minutes ago, Escape said:

The different colors on the valley gasket are normal

I've replaced a number of valley gaskets on other RV8 engines, but never seen this sealant coating before. Can you still get them like this? I always worry about where the excess goo is going when using regular RTV type sealant

22 minutes ago, Escape said:

you need to pry off part of the gear knob to get to the screw or clip underneath

Hmm - will investigate...

Thanks!

The valley gasket is known as a composite gasket in your case -the gooey stuff you refer too should cover the whole gasket surface, right across the valley. However with age and heat it breaks up and flakes off, leaving just the remnants of the composite bit around the inlet ports, just as you have there.

They are available, any of the later RV8s are specced with these, post 1995 ish?

20 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

The valley gasket is known as a composite gasket in your case

So just to put this one to bed, when using a composite valley gasket there is no need to use sealant around the intake and coolant ports as on the old "tin" ones? The coating on the composite gasket provides the seal? The workshop manual talks about using RTV around the seals on the gasket clamps at either end, but no mention of anywhere else...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

What was wrong with Disco that meant it was being scrapped?

Check out my ad in the for sale section from 6 weeks ago....

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Lack of interest

Spot on...

40 minutes ago, smallfry said:

could have used the front half for mocking up a conversion

Probably not after I'd cut out the chassis engine mount brackets though. Otherwise I'd have been glad to help out

48 minutes ago, smallfry said:

Thats a shame, could have used the front half for mocking up a conversion. Never mind. Realistically too far away unfortunately

I will have one in a couple of weeks, again probably to far away, but your welcome to it, regards Stephen

On 2/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, Stellaghost said:

I will have one in a couple of weeks, again probably to far away, but your welcome to it, regards Stephen

Thanks for the offer Stephen, but I am in Kent, so yes its even father away, as with most things I want, that always seem to be at the other end of the country !

• 4 weeks later...