Braided replacement clutch pipe

ejparrott

Already emailed David at Llama, but it's Saturday so won't get a reply until Monday, so research meanwhile.

Hydraulics died on my 109, so replacement slave, master and flexi purchased, the top steel is of course seized in the adapter, and the flexi is seized on the lower pipe.  I've always hated the locations of the Series pipes, so with the 88's rebuild imminent, I'm thinking sod it I'm going to replace the whole lot from master to slave with one new flexi.  I'm sure I've seen them listed somewhere in the past, but I can't now find them.  Any help?  I'm sure the same source was listing complete replacement braided brake lines too.

That's another possibility thanks!

Years ago trying to sort a friends TD5 Disco clutch we came across someone listing full vehicle replacement kits, braided lines as complete replacements for the clutch lines and all the brake lines, can't find them now.

The other thought is of course early 90/110 had the same imperial master and slave as the Series 3, so would probably swap over.  I quite like the idea of a banjo fitting on the Master too, if not both ends

I think the Goodrich hoses Merlin list are just the 8" or so length standard ones, I've been trying to make sense of it but of course being the weekend nobody to ask.

Gwyn Lewis list hoses, and advertise that they're made by Llama, so my first port of call may have been correct anyway.  Hopefully will find out tomorrow

6 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Just be careful, as clutch needs to move quite a bit of fluid, you may need a larger bore pipe and fittings... speaking from experience on another vehicle.

Hence -4 hose & fittings where the brakes are -3, Think's catalogue recommends sizes for applications ;)

23 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Braided TFE from Think Automotive all the way on mine, no rigid pipes at all on the truck. You want -4 size hose, I got black PVC coated as it doesn't absorb mud like the bare braided ones;

Thanks Fridge, exactly the kind of thing I've been thinking of, not a name I recognise, will have a look at their site later

15 hours ago, western said:

David at Llama made me some flexi braided clutch hoses, 

Just read back through the  post Ralph, Llama does look like a good option.  Might actually move my bleed nipple up too, getting under to bleed it isn't a job I much like doing.  There was a kit for the Series to have a remote bleeder, but it's all rigid pipe and I didn't like that.  More to investigate!  My 109 hydraulics have failed, and my 88 is about to get a full rebuild, so that will get new hydraulics, and in the process I'd like to fit it with a one piece flexi.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ejparrott said:

Thanks Fridge, exactly the kind of thing I've been thinking of, not a name I recognise, will have a look at their site later

Plus one for Think, great company really helpful. I has cost them more in their time than I have spent with them in parts bought. They are in the West London suburbs and have been helpful for about 30 years on and off for me.

I've had a good chat with David at Llama 4x4 this morning, he can absolutely do what I want, with a custom full length hose from Master (with Banjo) to slave (with MM adapter and swivel union) and do a remote bleed pipe foe me too.  Just need to go and measure what lengths I want, and double check the threads I've got on my master and slave.

Will keep you updated

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ejparrott said:

I've had a good chat with David at Llama 4x4 this morning, he can absolutely do what I want, with a custom full length hose from Master (with Banjo) to slave (with MM adapter and swivel union) and do a remote bleed pipe foe me too.  Just need to go and measure what lengths I want, and double check the threads I've got on my master and slave.

Will keep you updated

I'm interested to see how this turns out. I just removed all the pipes from my Series 3 88, and it left me thinking there's got to be a better way. There's about 16 feet of clutch line to travel an ultimate distance of 3 feet from the master to the slave... across the bulkhead, down to a flex line, back across the engine bay, up to the hood, and down to the slave....

I've sent the lengths off to David, just waiting to hear back from him.  The discussion we had was looking at putting a banjo bolt straight into the Master cylinder, 3/8" UNF, down to the Slave with a male/male to bring the pipe out past the bleed nipple above, and a 90 degree swivel union end, so nice and easy to assemble, all in the larger 1/4" Pipe.  To make life easier, I'm also looking at the remote bleed style Ralph had, with a metre of pipe bringing the nipple up the bulkhead.  This is in the smaller cheaper brake line as it's only a breather, and it's one less job I have to struggle with on my own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...