About to do a complete fluids change on Defender, Oil brand recommendations needed

JeffR

OK, so having  ground to a halt on the Defender re-commision (due to only having one functional arm, yeah I knacked myself again..... don't ask) I'm about to change all the fluids (not the brake fluid though cos thats all done, ask my knackered left arm) so what brands do you recommend for the relevant oils.  In the past, choice was dictated by what was cheapest (not being stingy there, but oils were changed well before due date)...

So gents, what do you recommend - standard 200tdi, lt77, standard axles, transfer box and GKN overdrive

I get all my oils from Smith and Allan... good prices, and not too outrageous shipping charges.  Can't honestly say they're better or worse than any other, because I stick to the 6 month service cycle (about 1500 miles in my case), so they never really get old and worn out!

• Like 3

With the GKN, just use a decent ATF of your choice but my advice is to change it every time you do your engine oil - its not a big job and the interval GKN state is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long for 700ml of oil that gets as hot as it does in a worked overdrive! Mine is done every 6k miles and its done almost 150k in my ownership. 

Smith and Allan for me too - although not for the Transfer Box-with-ATB combined with the Roamerdrive. That needs 80W-90 GL4 and they don't do it. I am getting Millers Classic Gear Oil EP 80W-90 GL4 for that, having had the nod from both Dave Ashcroft and Ray at Global Roamer.

The axles have this Smith and Allan EP 80W-90 Gear Oil API GL-5 Gearbox Diff Transmission Axle Fluid 5 Litre 5L and the engine had just had this Smith and Allen oil: Endura T3 15W-40

The R380 has their MTF94

• western changed the title to About to do a complete fluids change on Defender, Oil brand recommendations needed

My tip is what ever brand of oil you opt to use, buy it in bulk. In terms of the engine, buy a few oil filters too. That way you are always ready for an oil change incase of contamination for example and don't have to delay because you don't have any oil or filters. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've got my R380 and Lt230 pretty much back together and ready to hang up at all possible angles to check for leaks, so attention turns to oils. 

For the R380 Smith and Allan MTF94 seems to get the thumbs up, but what about the LT230? Is that going to be the same?

3 hours ago, Phill S said:

For the R380 Smith and Allan MTF94 seems to get the thumbs up, but what about the LT230? Is that going to be the same?

LT230 takes EP90 although LR have specced almost every oil ever made for it at some point...