Larger spanner sizes

I currently have spanners ranging up to 24mm. These are generally combination spanners though I think I have open up to 26mm.

I am currently working on my rear axle and the A frame ball joint is 30mm. I have sockets to 32mm, but these won't fit on this nut due to restricted space.

So, before I go and get a single spanner, are there any nuts requiring spanners over 24mm on a Defender?

It looks like aldi are doing a combination spanner set to 32mm which are in their special buys this Thursday. This would match my socket set sizes, but if the only large spanner required is a 30mm, I may be better just getting a better quality single spanner.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mick 

I ground the shoulder off a 30mm socket to allow it to go into the space for removing the A-frame ball main nut, hasn't really compromised it for any other use either.

Combined with a wobble bar extension works pretty well.

20220316_074231.jpg

Crank shaft front bolt on a 200tdi is 30mm.

The only nuts which are bigger are the wheel bearing nuts, in which I just use a box spanner for.

Thanks folks. I will have a look at the spanners hopefully tomorrow.  I didn't really want to buy a set as I will have most of them anyway  - but I don't like being stuck when I start a job. 

I borrowed a 30mm from a friend and managed to get the A frame ball joint loose on my replacement casing. I do worry how the other will be when it comes to doing that.

I am hoping the existing A frame ball joint will be OK as the bolts on the fulcrum bracket looks like it could be a while since that was off!

Western,  what are the 26, 27 & 28 size spanners used for?

The a-frame bolts on older vehicles (the UNF ones used up until the early 2000’s sort of time) take a large spanner as you can’t get a socket on. This is why I have a 28mm spanner in the toolkit.

The viscous fan is something like 28/32 but a proper viscous fan spanner is better for that. 

On 3/16/2022 at 5:48 AM, Mossberg said:

I currently have spanners ranging up to 24mm. These are generally combination spanners though I think I have open up to 26mm.

I am currently working on my rear axle and the A frame ball joint is 30mm. I have sockets to 32mm, but these won't fit on this nut due to restricted space.

So, before I go and get a single spanner, are there any nuts requiring spanners over 24mm on a Defender?

It looks like aldi are doing a combination spanner set to 32mm which are in their special buys this Thursday. This would match my socket set sizes, but if the only large spanner required is a 30mm, I may be better just getting a better quality single spanner.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mick 

Aldi spanners are not too bad, have smaller set that lives in the boot of the car, cheap enough that if you lose one your bank balance doesn't get upset. WELZH WERKZEUG are another brand I've been using and are surprisingly good for the price, 

Just a heads up, Aldi in Ramsbottom are currently selling the torque wrench at £15 (they should be £20). I am not sure if this is in all stores as the ones in Rawtenstall (about 4 miles up the road) were full price, as they are on line.

I was just looking for another as my Norbar one is not rated high enough for my current tasks  - I was looking at a Teng, but at £15 it was silly not too!

Well I picked up my Teng 30mm spanner today.  I compared it to the snap-on one I had borrowed and it looks very similar. There is slightly more play in the Teng, but nothing silly! £8.15 delivered,  so not too bad. Not new but less than half price of a new one.

20220327_193209.thumb.jpg.e50d9391043891c4495ac7868e768705.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uninformed said:

That’s quite an old Snap-On spanner

Borrowed from a Fireman friend who started life as a mechanic.  He has been a fireman for 25+ years so obviously older than that. I suspect it is around the 30 year mark as I know he had all his tools stolen from work at some point, so they can't be from his first day's as an apprentice,  which could go back to 81!!

He lent me his 30 and 32mn spanners letting me know there was no rush to get them back as he rarely works on anything that size.

The Teng can live in my toolbox now,  though I hope I won't be needing it too often. I have the rear axle case to change in the next couple of weeks, but after that I am not sure when I will next need it. I  could have not bothered and borrowed one next time I needed one, but it would be like an itch I couldn't scratch 😫 

Land Rover ownership certainly expands the tool box.

Edited by Mossberg