Been busy...

19 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

What’s happened with the binding window then Jeff - I thought you were telling us it was something to do with the screws at first … 

As soon as new screws arrive, will take some pics and show where they were binding, was own a fitful bad temper! 

• 1 month later...

Made some progress, brief pause ensued after MRI was reviewed and the "nothing major" morphed into "you need c4,5 and 6 vertebrae fused as the discs have collapsed...." so yeah, nothing major.

20220616_183106.thumb.jpg.bc111f60aece4cb1b49f7ca0ae43aeb1.jpgOK, nice shiny refurbed front axle now residing in its new home:20220616_183028.thumb.jpg.77686cf516b58a5a8f02a1702373a296.jpg

Turrets n shocks painted and adorned with dead flies/wasps , ready to install.

The banana that was masquerading as a tracking bar replaced along with drag link - I think I now hold the world record for the longest time taken to remove a drag link, 4 1/2 hours of heating, beating and anglo saxon, replaced with these

20220616_191211.thumb.jpg.4c532e14c6b0721b49a254233f3bc87a.jpg

20220616_183048.thumb.jpg.c0b9212bad1eec9bc40154e8efe3ac8e.jpg

Actually worked out cheaper than replacing the track rod ends with decent quality ones.

Interior now watertightish (its a bloody landrover, get over it) with new door seals. Took ages to get the door seals to fit, just couldn't get the door gaps correct.  Then worked out that hard top and sides were not bolted down... just finger tight (not my doing).

Airpipe from filter to snorkel was , well, crunchy. The metal bits having self converted to various oxides. So will be replaced with this:

20220616_191255.thumb.jpg.040d011f66d7801de202a57746e617f7.jpg

New , removable, steering wheel acquired as old one took some persuading to come off (big hammer n lots of anglo saxon) and has become less than round and flat in the process.

Front Brake flexis now braided stainless, then on to discs n callipers.  Acquired a pair of  vented callipers, go faster discs and go slower pads to finish off front end. Before anyone whinges, bought as a set so had no control over what I got, I will say that the kit was very comprehensive for £132!  Came with EBC pads, corteco oil seals, new genuine caliber bolts and disc bolts and drive member bolts. Well impressed.

20220616_183303.thumb.jpg.f6f0d9c1009998a15ebbb386eb7bfd3b.jpg

Got a door to weld back together( my good door wasn't so good after all) and dash to install, then a few wiring jobs - radiator fans, using the twin set from a Golf mk 4 as they come as a unit and fit like they were made for the job. Oh and they cost me nowt as I seem to have a few of them kicking round (don't ask).

Electric windows installed but not wired in, old motors were very very very full of liquid electricity and rusted solid, so tried Disco 1 motors, didn't fit, too long and bolt spacing all wrong so sourced drivers side from a car boot sale (!!!!!!) and had to buy a new one (very painful).  Odd that you can buy replacement motors for freelanders, discos and range rovers, but not for defenders.

So tons of progress made. 

Things I've learned to date, check other folks work, putting an axle in on your own with 1 1/2 arms is dodgy at best. But the main one is DO NOT get the wife to help, they seem to lack the ability to distinguish between one swearing at rusty nuts n bolts and swearing at them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

What is that air pipe made of? I'm looking at options for something that won't rip like the cheap but expensive carp I've got.

Its a piece of flexible stainless exhaust, also got some some shrink tube to cover it with to prevent air leaks

Looks a lot of hard graft.

Take care of your back.  I had the L4/5 disc let go and ended up with a paralysed leg as well as the posture and facial expression of Gollum.  I now have my own ladder chassis as a result, but was lucky that it cured the symptoms and only leaves mild intermittent sciatica.  Slipped or herniated discs are astonishingly painful.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Looks a lot of hard graft.

Take care of your back.  I had the L4/5 disc let go and ended up with a paralysed leg as well as the posture and facial expression of Gollum.  I now have my own ladder chassis as a result, but was lucky that it cured the symptoms and only leaves mild intermittent sciatica.  Slipped or herniated discs are astonishingly painful.

Tramadol and Gabapentin are my new friends...

You don’t want to be on Tramadol for long.  It’s addictive and coming off it causes depression.  Painkillers are only a short term solution - they exacerbate damage.  Try physio or Pilates.  It didn’t work for me, but has worked for a lot of my colleagues who same problem from the same cause.

Gabapentin is the "regular" painkiller, the Tramadol is for break through pain (like which occurred after I manoeuvred the axle into place.....). Twas on the latter from Jan to March this year, it is very nasty but effective.

Not having a good day......got drivers side front all assembled, brakes, shock, spring and hub. Sat down for a coffee to find I'd forgot to put the !@£$ing turret ring in, I'm calling it a blonde/senior moment...

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Did you know that if you fully assemble the front end of a defender (that has been sitting for a good few years) then wiggle the steering to settle everything and check drop arm balljoint play before finally tightening everything, that both the effing  power steering box seals will decide  that that very  moment is the time to catastrophically fail...... Got a good Disco one stashed somewhere, more bloody work

Anyone local to me got a metal detector I can borrow ?  My 1/2 inch ratchet has just undergone astronaut  training and passed with flying colours (pun very much intended).......

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Pretty shiny bits, seems a shame to put the wheels on

20220620_181332.thumb.jpg.292a00673bb02eef28391941b668c8c4.jpg

Sadly the disc shields met their demise after the wife reversed the car over them.  suppose it saves me having to paint them

Edited by JeffR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't have knees anymore, stinging nettles and gravel rash wrecked them..... Actually, normally have a cheap, Aldi , yoga matt for some protection. simply cut it in three and glue em together. cost less than a fiver. Also useful (and massively cheaper than shadow foam) for tool chest liners just buy different colours, cut to shape and Bobs your uncle

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Snagger said:

Tell the wife she owes you a set of YRM galvanised brake shields now.

I'm not THAT brave...

A question for everyone, why does one always run out of welding gas at 1.30 on a Saturday afternoon

Edited by JeffR
  • Haha 2