Off topic - Minis

Hi all, first of all, if this is in wrong place or not allowed please feel free to delete, I have resently cleaned an old mechanics garage out, who passed away, I have two classic mini's, one has number plate and chassis number sorted, the other has only the chassis number on a bare shell, is there anyway I can get the reg number from this chassis number, everywhere I try ask for vin number,  which only started in 1981, I know this shell is in between 1969/74 which I can tell from the chassis number, dd

Edited by Happyoldgit
Added "Minis" to title

It's easier to work out the vin/chassis number from a registration than the other way around I'm afraid. I thought you could get the age off the chassis number but having looked that's only post 74. There maybe clues to the age on the shell IE, that paint colour was ## verses this bracket which was ## etc. However if you can prove the age of the shell you should be able to get an age related plate but the car will need to be built using correct period parts.

Mike

8 hours ago, defender dinky said:

Hi all, first of all, if this is in wrong place or not allowed please feel free to delete, I have resently cleaned an old mechanics garage out, who passed away, I have two classic mini's, one has number plate and chassis number sorted, the other has only the chassis number on a bare shell, is there anyway I can get the reg number from this chassis number, everywhere I try ask for vin number,  which only started in 1981, I know this shell is in between 1969/74 which I can tell from the chassis number, dd

That Mini is mine, I remember the guy promised it to me !

Try Gaydon Motor Museum near Birimingham, they do the heritage certificates and have all the build records, so they may be able to help, once they know its ligit !

Moement at last, phoned dvla, 1963 super deluxe, they have all details, other one with just chassis number can't find anything atm, have to fill in v62 form, both mini's will be for sale once I have all documents, my had mini's a long time but to much work for him with his day job, he also makes all fibreglass parts for mini's even complete shells, here he is at silerstone on a trial day, thks for all your help, dd

IMG-20220325-WA0002.jpg

1647524074721.jpg

1647524074694.jpg

Hiding away in my garage is a 1981 Mini 1000, stage 3/4 head (Rimflow valves), Cooper cam, 1 3/4 SU, 6 X 10 Superlights, HiLos, twin tanks, all steel (and rust) bodywork awaiting new rear 1/4s and boot floor.... 

Strange how a pair of 7 1/2 inch discs are significantly more expensive than a pair of defender vented discs.  Minis were my first love (that and one of the first 13 inch wheel GTM's that I built a life time ago)

• Happyoldgit changed the title to Off topic - Minis
2 hours ago, JeffR said:

Hiding away in my garage is a 1981 Mini 1000, stage 3/4 head (Rimflow valves), Cooper cam, 1 3/4 SU, 6 X 10 Superlights, HiLos, twin tanks, all steel (and rust) bodywork awaiting new rear 1/4s and boot floor.... 

Strange how a pair of 7 1/2 inch discs are significantly more expensive than a pair of defender vented discs.  Minis were my first love (that and one of the first 13 inch wheel GTM's that I built a life time ago)

I've had quite a few mini and mini based cars, currently two mini jems. They both need full restoration though.

Mike

The first car I owned was a Mini. I rebuilt the thing and in the end I  doubt there was a component, nut, bolt or screw I hadn't faffed with. A full colour change to bright orange with Matt black bonnet and boot lid. A real Carlos Fandango job that saw me through a couple of alcohol fueled late teenage years ...until I ran it into the back of a van. RIP Mini.

1 hour ago, defender dinky said:

Sent v62 forms off today fingers crossed, nice looking mini badger110, makes you wonder why so many people were fascinated with such a small car, dd

Having driven everything from Alfas to Zastavas (I try to forget the latter) , a well set up Mini will out corner most things, you may need a few sessions with a chiropractor after a long drive, but in terms of grins per pound, you cant beat them.

• Like 2

Just had to…! My first three cars were Minis, strangely, all the square fronted ‘Clubman’ models but that did give the 1100cc engine. Like someone posted above it was ‘sorted’: stage 3 head, fast road cam, competition distributor, Metro 1 3/4 carb, competition clutch, minilites etc etc.

But it’s Jeff’s post above that made me think to post. I was living/working in Aberdeen at the time, with regular trips back home to near Inverness. Those of you who know the “main” cart track between Inverness and Aberdeen can imagine it would be no fun in a wee mini, but the ‘tourist’ route, over the hills of Grampian, into the Highlands was a joy. That little car would corner like it was on rails, and I was young enough not to have to bother the chiropractor! 

Today I think I’d like to do something different and would probably go for a Moke - though good ones fetch good money.

4 hours ago, JeffR said:

Having driven everything from Alfas to Zastavas (I try to forget the latter) , a well set up Mini will out corner most things, you may need a few sessions with a chiropractor after a long drive, but in terms of grins per pound, you cant beat them.

If you think a tin top is fun you should try a mini Marcos or mini jem. You may need the fire brigade to get you out but it will be worth it.

Mike

On the ferry to Dublin a few years ago, we were swamped by Minis going to their annual meet - that year in Westport. They were everywhere and turned up on the first night in the middle of Ireland where we were all overnighting.

Four blokes got out of the yellow one - from Zagreb I think.

IMG_5533.thumb.JPG.e118d3c88c05d570369eb3525fe085e8.JPG

IMG_5532.thumb.JPG.ecadb822b29f891b6c610efd9bae1c32.JPG

IMG_5529.thumb.JPG.d7d13f87e0f5830eae8831a22642c2a5.JPG

IMG_5531.thumb.JPG.3e112c6e1a9b1c639cca4564fac0d5fe.JPG

17 hours ago, Northwards said:

Just had to…! My first three cars were Minis, strangely, all the square fronted ‘Clubman’ models but that did give the 1100cc engine. Like someone posted above it was ‘sorted’: stage 3 head, fast road cam, competition distributor, Metro 1 3/4 carb, competition clutch, minilites etc etc.

But it’s Jeff’s post above that made me think to post. I was living/working in Aberdeen at the time, with regular trips back home to near Inverness. Those of you who know the “main” cart track between Inverness and Aberdeen can imagine it would be no fun in a wee mini, but the ‘tourist’ route, over the hills of Grampian, into the Highlands was a joy. That little car would corner like it was on rails, and I was young enough not to have to bother the chiropractor! 

Today I think I’d like to do something different and would probably go for a Moke - though good ones fetch good money.

In the early 80's, after a serious session in the local, someone bet me I couldn't do Lands End to John O Groats in under 24hrs, not being one to back out of a bet....did it in 19 1/2 hrs, in the Clubman Mini, averaged 11mpg . Was a lot younger and much more stupid (well , not much more, possibly a bit more) in those days. Oh and much fitter and supple....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Surprising what you can do in, and inside a Mini. The van version I had in my yoof was a bit more accomodating for certain activities too....

Ha, if you think that is surprising you will be extremely surprised at what you can do in a Bond Bug....lol regards Stephen 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Ha, if you think that is surprising you will be extremely surprised at what you can do in a Bond Bug....lol regards Stephen 

All I can say is Thank the lord that Fiat 126s had a sunshine roof...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JeffR said:

In the early 80's, after a serious session in the local, someone bet me I couldn't do Lands End to John O Groats in under 24hrs, not being one to back out of a bet....did it in 19 1/2 hrs, in the Clubman Mini, averaged 11mpg . Was a lot younger and much more stupid (well , not much more, possibly a bit more) in those days. Oh and much fitter and supple....

That’s a fair shift! I did Inverness to Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen often enough. Even the NC500 long before it was even a twinkle in a marketer’s eye, but LEJOG? Respect - even if it was an earlier version of you!