OT Trailer flooring

mickeyw

2 hours ago, mickeyw said:

18mm phenolic coated anti slip birch ply is now £152 a sheet! By the time I have 4 of those delivered + VAT etc I'm looking at close to £800 😮

Mickey it may be worth giving a quick call to Chris or Andrew @ CLH Trailers, I've been down there a lot recently getting their guillotine back up and running and I overhead a conversation with someone asking about phenolic ply and I seem to recall it was a bit cheaper than that - although it's still mighty expensive at the moment. I've got a mate in Surrey who's going back in a few weeks time with an empty lorry so he'll probably chuck the stuff on as a free backhaul if it did work out.

Chris was saying that the problem is most of the ply came in from Russia which has stopped for obvious reasons and then the only other places supplying it (well decent quality stuff) are the Scandinavian countries and they've racked up their prices to make the most of it.

• Like 1

You can get 14' fence rails from any decent countryside fencing merchant. Might be worth pricing these up and ringing Ifor for a price on a floor as comparison

C49489 is a one piece chequer plate ( this needs wooden rails underneath

C69501B is three ply boards. 

I have recently paid 420 +vat for a GX126 plant trailer one piece ply floor with 4 week lead time if that's any idea to go by. I used A2 M10 countersinks to secure both the GX and my own 16' flat boards.

Cough, cough, confession time....

I still have not done mine yet. It's been one job after another recently and my trailer floor mojo has not been helped by the after effects of the Big C and chemo. That said I have managed to replace all the brake shoes, some bearings, cut off all the cable retainer clamshells off the backplates and weld in new ones, replace all the cables, replace a tyre, and renew all the lights on the thing. However since then it has sat there giving me the evil eye on a daily basis while I wince at the price of phenolic ply and the other alternatives and try to muster the enthusiasm to fork out the cash and  most of all the effort of getting the job done...

I may even sell it before or after that anyway ....hmmmm.

35 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Cough, cough, confession time....

I still have not done mine yet. It's been one job after another recently and my trailer floor mojo has not been helped by the after effects of the Big C and chemo. That said I have managed to replace all the brake shoes, some bearings, cut off all the cable retainer clamshells off the backplates and weld in new ones, replace all the cables, replace a tyre, and renew all the lights on the thing. However since then it has sat there giving me the evil eye on a daily basis while I wince at the price of phenolic ply and the other alternatives and try to muster the enthusiasm to fork out the cash and  most of all the effort of getting the job done...

I may even sell it before or after that anyway ....hmmmm.

HOG I think in the circumstances you haven't done too bad. Plenty of us are still seeking that elusive round tuit, even without health complications.

I've just prices up new scaffold boards at £360, £75 of which is delivery. I need to find somewhere local I can pick up from as even my V8 won't use £75 worth of fuel for that job.

I also need to check the position of the floor supports, in the hope I can use a 6' and 8' board to make up the length, and alternate which end gets the shorter board.

1 hour ago, muddy said:

You can get 14' fence rails from any decent countryside fencing merchant. Might be worth pricing these up and ringing Ifor for a price on a floor as comparison

C49489 is a one piece chequer plate ( this needs wooden rails underneath

C69501B is three ply boards. 

I have recently paid 420 +vat for a GX126 plant trailer one piece ply floor with 4 week lead time if that's any idea to go by. I used A2 M10 countersinks to secure both the GX and my own 16' flat boards.

I'll investigate fence rails.
C69501B measures 1965mm x 1220mm x 18mm and £175 each from GT Towing. I would need 3 of these plus a C695011B which is a half board at £125. Total £650 plus collection costs.

Aluminium for an LM126 is listed at £478.80, so a 4 ft longer version will be getting on for  a similar cost to the Phenolic ply, and I'd still need to buy the timber supports.

https://gttowing.co.uk/online-shop/lt-and-lm-ply-coated-panels-and-flooring/

2 hours ago, mickeyw said:

I've just prices up new scaffold boards at £360, £75 of which is delivery. I need to find somewhere local I can pick up from as even my V8 won't use £75 worth of fuel for that job.

Mid Sussex Timber. They're usually a very good price - even worth driving to them from Pembrokeshire to pick up a load of timber! Well okay I happened to be in Surrey and with a 20' trailer behind the 110 but their price for 12"x2"x4.8m was 1/3rd of what a sawmill was going to charge for ungraded and Mid Sussex's was C24.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have scaffold boards in stock.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

It looks great HOG and it's a job ticked off. Sometimes it's just better to pay out than endlessly quibble over what might be saved if you never did it at all.

That looks very smart HOG 👍

For some folk shopping around for alternative ideas or materials means projects can happen sooner. Available budget is a big factor in these decisions.

11 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

You tell me what is cheap these days 🙄

I don't know but I know the ply is over £100/sheet down this way. Aluminium / steel might be cheaper but slippery and best with something under anyway on a trailer like that to spread the load.

I used old scaffold boards with a 1/4" gap on mine but didn't need it to be "sealed".

6 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

I don't know but I know the ply is over £100/sheet down this way. Aluminium / steel might be cheaper but slippery and best with something under anyway on a trailer like that to spread the load.

I used old scaffold boards with a 1/4" gap on mine but didn't need it to be "sealed".

I got it for just under a ton per sheet for 18mm. I considered scaffold boards but it's a 16ft trailer so it would have meant adding additional crossmembers. Hopefully what's on there will be equally up to the job as it is similar to what was fitted originally.

7 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I can't remember what the sizes here are but I know Chris tends to stock bigger than 8x4. Unusual if he's more expensive than others.

It should last, just hope you've treated the edges if / where you've cut it.

Yes any cut edges were sealed and painted.

I believe they had larger sheets available but the crossmembers are spaced for 4ft widths so that is what I stuck with.

2 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

I got it for just under a ton per sheet for 18mm. I considered scaffold boards but it's a 16ft trailer so it would have meant adding additional crossmembers. Hopefully what's on there will be equally up to the job as it is similar to what was fitted originally.

Wow! I paid £36 a sheet pre all this current nonsense. Dont think it will ever come back down.

I needed a load of 4x2 for a project pre-lockdown. When lockdown hit prices doubled and I thought I would wait for them to come back down. I am an idiot - they have only gone one way....

The problem it seems is partly lockdown hitting shipping but mainly Ukraine as a lot of the timber for the phenolic ply / Buffalo board came from Siberia (basically where the trees grow slowly). With Ukraine kicking off places couldn't get it from Russia so the Scandinavian countries have had to pick up the slack and because of demand they've simply sat on things and jacked their prices up because, well, people will pay for it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just re- reading this as I’m about to buy a trailer that needs a new floor.

I can’t seem to find many places local to me (Lancashire) that sell Buffalo Boards or decent lengths of Scaffold Planks. 

I did wonder if there were any plastic products out there - not many and bloody expensive seem to be the answer for those. 

Not the closest to you but not horrendous is Scaffolding Direct on the wirral. They'll do delivery but it costs a bit usually.

We've bought all our scaffold clamps from there in the past but two out of three times we've been passing.

• Thanks 1

For the Hulco trailers we have a choise between "wooden floors" or "composite floors"

Price difference between a 2 x 4 mtrs. trailer floor is about € 130

Composite ones don't rot but don't like sharpish impacts..

I don't know about trailer floors but any composite "wood" I've seen has been floppy as a floppy thing or incredibly brittle and fragile. We got some reconstituted 2x4s to replace the slats on a bench in the town hall. Couldn't support their weight over a 6ft span.

I've seen steel on some flatbed load areas with built in slots for ratchet straps type mesh. 

I'll be looking at that for the next rebuild.

To update on my own situation, I ended up buying the proper stuff from IWT, although I did have to wait the best part of 6 months for it. This worked out not much different in price to buying Buffalo board or similar, with the bonus of not having to cut the boards except where they fit around the centre and rear corner posts. A 14' deck requires 3 full boards and a half board.