LT230 ratio 1.301 - Ashcroft special - Anyone running one?

So next on my "fix" list is the Transfer box on my 90. - its suffered over the years with condensation damage to the gears, and now the case is leaking quite badly from the usual places.

So was going to get a nice sorted one from Ashcroft. - now I've got the engine sorted, I've always felt my truck was over geared e.g. in a 30mph zone 3rd gear feels to high and 4th isn’t quite enough unless its dead flat.

I had a play with an overdrive a few years ago and it didn’t get on well in the end, decent when it worked, but after the experience I really can't be bothered with the additional complexity of any overdrive.

So after Ashcroft released the new 1.301 gearset I thought that could be a really tidy compromise - I don’t do a lot of towing (on the odd occasion). I've been playing with the Ratio calculator and on paper it looks half way house between a 1.2 and a 1.4 (quite obviously) - but I'm intrested to know how it feels in real life.

Did a few searches and didn’t find any real experience feedback from owners, is anyone running a 1.301 box they can comment on?

Cheers Mav

37 minutes ago, Jocklandjohn said:

No I hadn't seen it, thanks for the post. Actually the op's argument is similar to mine according to the ashcroft calculator I'm a little high on revs when in 5th etc. Annoyingly it doesn't actually close out what the guy went with.

I've got a rev counter, I'll calibrate it up and see if I can get some real time numbers to compare with the ashcroft tables.

Whats always puzzled me is that you never hear of Discovery drivers complaining of there gearing using the 1.2 transfer box - I did a check on the calculator and the D1 gearboxes certainly for the 200tdi where the same as Defender.

4 minutes ago, western said:

Different tyres sizes on Discovery, so that would have something to do with the overall gearing. 

True as standard they're usually a smaller diameter. I'm running standard 235,85r16 which comes out as 31.7" diameter.

My Disco 200 Tid runs 235/85x16 and 1.22 box - it's fine with towing and often tows at 3.5tonnes. It's gearing is well spread.  All up vehicle weight - with all the junk I carry, is 2.15 tonnes

My 100" had a 1.22 box, 200 tdi and an ealry military LT77. It was carp at towing. Gear were in the wrong place. Big gap between 3rd and fourth, huge gap between 4th and 5th. All very odd, The Box was from a 2.5 110.

If I don't sell the Disco, I'll go down the R380 route, simply as part of the sound reduction

• Like 1

I've had a disco 200tdi on 31's it was to tall for towing, bearable solo but only just. Same engine and gearbox in the ibex but with 1.44 transfer box on 35's still to tall for towing. Swapped out the tyres for 33's and I'd say it's about perfect, a bit taller than standard defender but not as tall as a 1.22 transfer box. Our 110 is on the same 1.44 transfer box and 33's. So probably about where the Ashcroft gear set puts you.

Mike

• Like 1

17 hours ago, western said:

Different tyres sizes on Discovery, so that would have something to do with the overall gearing. 

That is the main reason for the different gearing.  They may also have felt that Defenders would tow heavy trailers more often or in worse conditions than typical Discovery’s or RRCs,  but many a Discovery pulled heavy horse trailers.  I suppose they didn’t typically do so across building sites or mountain ranges, though - more A-roads and paved lanes.

Personally I would fit larger tyres and stick with a 1.4 unless you do a lot of motorway miles where a '6th' gear will quieten the job down but even then I've not driven many defenders that will pull higher gearing on motorway inclines well. (and I've driven quite a lot)

Short gearing especially in a 90 is very much a part of the driving experience and charm for me.

• Like 1

Is there any kind of comparison table between the RPMs at a given speed for the different transfer cases?

This is something I'm interested in as I feel like mine is too low geared even with the 1.22 Disco box, 70 is about 3,200rpm which is a bit ridiculous for something considered to be tall geared. I know/expect it'll be different for diesels.