In line range box

*Vapour alert*

Does anyone know of a gearbox/ range box that could be mounted down the chassis of a transit van for example with one flange in and one flange out but with two or three ratios something like 0.9-1 high and 1.5-1 low?

Effectively turning a 5 speed into a 10 speed to give the clutch an easier life towing and manoeuvring trailers but a slightly better cruising speed but without weighing eleventy million tons.

Atlas Transfer boxes? I think there are some other variants on them as well - mate in Surrey has a load of various transfer cases like that lying around his yard. I think the Atlas boxes can be specced with pretty much any gear ratio.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:04 AM, Nonimouse said:

Any divorced transfer case should do it. Datsun 720 and G wagen are the first that spring to mind

^ this, Suzuki have them too but they may not be up to life in a Transit.

Loads of custom transfer cases in the states (Atlas and a million variants) bound to be something suitable.

You could make an LT230 in-line with a stub shaft into the input gear but that doesn't get you overdrive gearing unless @Ed Poore's mate's weird gearing is still available.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

^ this, Suzuki have them too but they may not be up to life in a Transit.

Loads of custom transfer cases in the states (Atlas and a million variants) bound to be something suitable.

You could make an LT230 in-line with a stub shaft into the input gear but that doesn't get you overdrive gearing unless @Ed Poore's mate's weird gearing is still available.

I was thinking abou the suzuki ones and initially discounted them as too small for the mighty Transit. However speak to Rhino Ray, the other night, he's run a variety of engines through them with no issues, including supercharged Manta lumps...

Another option is boat transmissions.  There are lots of 2 speed boxes with a variety of ratios.

I've used a single speed box for a 2:1 reduction before.  It had nice, easy, flange plates on the input & output.

• Like 2

He has at least one available somewhere in the 4 acre treasure pile he calls his yard but he's supposed to be hunting for it for @Stellaghost. I can find the name of the company that cut the gears for him, it turned out they're the company that cut them for LR. Somewhere in Surrey I think.

Well.. I was coming home fully freighted around 8/9 tons the other day and had to pick my route accordingly as I wouldn't have been able to pull away on a gradient, its also a nightmare to reverse the trailer up any gradient. Something you never have to worry about with a landrover product...

Seen as though it already has a two or three peice rear shaft I was wondering if a straight in straight out gearbox was able to be bolted into a simple cradle fixed to existing holes in the chassis. perhaps with an electric actuator to change gear with a simple button on the stick wired through a clutch switch.

On 5/26/2022 at 10:59 PM, TD5toV8110 said:

What Transit can be 8-9 ton all up legally?😲

The newest biggest bestest  one is 5 ton all up (vehicle only) Doubt it can then tow another 4 ton (2.0 turbo diesel 170bhp)

None of them. 

• Like 1

Apparently the new Transit is available in a 5ton version, with a 3.5ton trailer weight. That would give you 8.5ton.

In practice, with a 3.5ton van + a 3.5ton trailer + a bit of overloading 8ton is not uncommon...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Escape said:

Apparently the new Transit is available in a 5ton version, with a 3.5ton trailer weight. That would give you 8.5ton.

In practice, with a 3.5ton van + a 3.5ton trailer + a bit of overloading 8ton is not uncommon...

Poor little engine, and brakes going downhill....

8 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Poor little engine, and brakes going downhill....

I never said it was a good idea! 😉

Over here we regularly see medium sized vans (Traffic, Transit etc), typically FWD but with a low loader carrying a mini excavator or such in tow. That's easily 3ton or more if they've put other stuff on the trailer as well. Yet the vans are only rated at 2 or 2.5ton at best...

A mate has one of those and found the 170hp engine could cope easily enough and the long wheelbase made it quite stable while towing, but he had to admit his old Range Rover (an unpowered P38 DSE automatic) feels a lot more solid when it matters. Before that he had a Navarra, that was a bad idea on so many levels, not just towing!

This legally has a 7,5 tonne trainweight :

image.png.cbc49bfdf8cdbb717ac3550f3ba18f5d.png

In certain configurations you can go up to 9 tonnes.

Not sure these days of the UK though..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 10:29 PM, TD5toV8110 said:

Here in Australia you will do jail time for that sort of overloading....

Bit of a nanny country....

So here don't break any rules and you are golden!

🤪

You can go to prison here, for overloading, especially if you cause a crash. Usually it's just a big fine

All our motorways and most of our HRN dual carriageways have 'loops' embedded in the base course of the tarma to weigh vehicles, these loops are linked to roadside vehicles, which will then pull in the vehicle and take it to a weighbridge for confirmation. Generally overloading is no longer seen as 'ok', rather, it's seen as stupid and driving without due care. It also means your insurance is void, your company's 'O' licence can be suspended and you can lose your HGV licence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

All our motorways and most of our HRN dual carriageways have 'loops' embedded in the base course of the tarma to weigh vehicles, these loops are linked to roadside vehicles, which will then pull in the vehicle and take it to a weighbridge for confirmation. Generally overloading is no longer seen as 'ok', rather, it's seen as stupid and driving without due care. It also means your insurance is void, your company's 'O' licence can be suspended and you can lose your HGV licence

WIMS! https://trans.info/en/emissions-trading-system-288657