Brake calipers?

Do you have a 90 or a 110? If you have a 90 then more powerful brakes on the back may cause them to lock up. I have recently replaced my discs and calipers, front and back - the rears lock first without a load in the back (not really done any serious braking when loaded).

I thought the axles on a 110 were a heavier load rating, like the Salisbury?

I am still quite new to land rover maintenance so please don't read any of my comments as being from an expert. 

I might be wrong but I thought at some point land rover made calipers the same across the range but that may of been just defender. It would of been around 300tdi td5.

From memory the bolt pattern is the same but off set isn't, I have two 110 rear calipers with different offsets but I don't know what year the newer one is. But as Mossberg says why upgrade? Unless you have massive non standard front brakes upgrading the rear may result in locking the rear often. The brakes on all land rovers are good assuming they work correctly. I normally find I loose traction (mud tyres) long before I get brake fade.

Mike

• Like 1

I dont know why people bugger about with brakes so much. My front caliper/rear drum setup works perfectly and is how it was all designed. This, axles and suspension all seem to be setups LR got just right and arent worth time fiddling with! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, reb78 said:

I dont know why people bugger about with brakes so much. My front caliper/rear drum setup works perfectly and is how it was all designed. This, axles and suspension all seem to be setups LR got just right and arent worth time fiddling with! 

If fitting large diameter tyres, their extra leverage can lead to weak braking.  But for the overwhelming majority, it’s not an issue, and poor braking is down to faults with the existing system, just needing a careful refurbishment of what is already installed.  That applies to drum systems, not just on the back end, but also full drum systems like Series vehicles.  Even with a Tdi or V8 conversion, the servo assisted drum brakes of the SIIIs are more than adequate; the disc systems are easier to maintain and are self cleaning, but unless the vehicle is frequently immersed in mud, that is not much of a problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 3:30 PM, Snagger said:

No, they have different offsets from the mounting lugs and are for different diameter discs.

I’m pretty sure there was a time line where they were both 290mm and possibly even offset, but I’m also pretty sure the mounting lugs are at different bolt centres 

They used to have the same brakes for RRC, Discovery and D90, the 110 using the front discs from those vehicles on its rear and bigger discs up front.  I don’t know anything about any rationalised brakes using the same spec as 110 on 90 or Discoverys.  I’m pretty sure that the RRC was already finished before such rationalisation, and quite likely the Discovery 1 too.  I have no idea about the Discovery II other than that it’s ABC/ETC system was used on contemporary high spec Defenders.  I do recall that the callipers and discs on my wife’s 2009 90 looked the same at face value to those on my 300Tdi RRC, but admit that I never compared them closely.