Rothenburger superfire 2 gas blow torch

Stellaghost

Hi guys,

Looking to buy one of these, supposed to be top notch in the plumbing world, I don't need it for that, at least not constantly however will it be a good source of heat for those jobs we are all aware of, or is there something better suited

Thanks in advance regards Stephen

• Stellaghost changed the title to Rothenburger superfire 2 gas blow torch
2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

No idea what exact model it is... but my rothenberger torch did about 10 years with a plumber mate before he bought a new one on offer as it was cheaper than buying just a cylinder. Piezo isn't working these days but I just light it with a lighter or my gas soldering iron. 

Ok I guess my next question would be, if you smashed it would you replace like for like...

What's it like at heating steel up ?

Regards Stephen

I would replace mine with the same if it was smashed.

Nowhere as good as proper gas, but very good for a hand held thing. Pick it up and hold it, it just lights and goes.

One thing, though. Get the plastic base, the gas cylinders aren't the most stable of things, and it's often on its side when you are looking for it.

Gas isn't exactly dear, and does last a bit.

It will get light bits of steel to bright red, and heavier stuff soft enough to bend.

IMG_20230106_115225.jpg

• Thanks 1

Plumbing would be about 3% of use, I have a very limited supply of oxy/ acetylene which I use only when I absolutely have to. So going by what you guys are telling me Rothenburger or Mapp torches would do find but my go to gas would need to be mapp gas due to it burning hotter

Regards Stephen

Rothenberger make quality equipment, just make sure that the torch has an adjustable flame as one version of their torch doesn't. They will take both gas bottles but as said, the mapp gas is hottest. As a plumber I have been using mapp gas for years regularly and would not bother with anything else. The torches can be used for brazing and silver solder which mine often get used for.  There are also a range of nozzles available for different uses and spares if needed The biggest problem I have found with Rothenberger version is they snap by the base of the burner if dropped and hit the tip. This may be a safety point but gets expensive to replace so I currently use a cheaper brand which works just as well.

• Thanks 1

I bought a second hand one off ebay, I think about £35 delivered. I am not the wealthiest of folk so a brand new one seemed expensive  and I would not use it enough for the cost. However I am happy I have mine as it certainly helps with some tasks.

I presume its the gas that is the main component in producing the heat,so I am sure other cheaper torches will work, but I took a punt on the used one having enough use left in it for my requirements. 

I have used it to remove threaded things that I thought I would have to drill out and re tap.  My first use, and the reason I bought the torch, was the removal of bolts holding on the brake caliper on the front of my defender. I had already cut the caliper in half to get to the back of the screw so I could apply penetrating fluid. Penetrating fluid just didn't work (I broke a screwfix socket remover trying to undo it). I was advised to use the map gas with the Rothenberger so I got that. I got another socket removal kit (Toolstation this time - I would have preferred Irwin but nowhere had them at the time), I drilled the caliper bolt from the back to hopefully remove some stress on the thread. I then heated, quenched then heated again and used the socket removal tool on a 2ft breaker bar - both bolts came out.

I also removed the swivel housing oil plug that I was sure would never come out and also a steering lock stop bolt which I also believed would never move. 

If I drove over the Rothenberger would I replace it  - perhaps.  I  would certainly replace it with something but I don't know what are reliable alternatives. I am not a tool snob but I like things to work. I will often look for a good second hand quality tool than a cheap make - I would like new and quality but that often is not an option on my budget. If I was starting a land rover restoration I would happily buy a Rothenberger as I would be happy I would give it enough use to justify the cost. 

However, I would certainly ask people for opinions on alternatives, but map gas in my opinion is a great addition to the toolbox. 

Edited by Mossberg
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been looking at getting one of these for a while. I’d seen them online and in Screwfix - I noticed toolstation have had some on sale at some point too.

My cheap butane torch has failed - it stopped igniting first and then the flame went very inconsistent. There are no spares available for it - so better quality and with spares seems like the best way forward.

I have this one which is also available widely. I’ve had it for years and it has done all sorts of plumbing and workshop parts heating. I didn’t realise immediately that there is a push button on the top that locks the trigger on. This allows it to be used more easily. I use MAPP gas.

00D650DB-EBD8-4A8C-BCD0-8CAE9E8B7F39.thumb.jpeg.16c1b4afd3b3301b1498ca7fbf09d088.jpeg

6041F9B3-BD62-4105-B9C3-0AF9075C67AB.thumb.jpeg.33fe730c2889200958306c1d46794bb5.jpeg