Easiest way to remove front wings complete for access to bulkhead

Per the title really, I need to do some bulkhead welding on the ambulance and want to remove the front wings for access, but without disturbing any more bits than I absolutely have to.

So - any tips, pointers, warnings etc.?

wing_2.png.b2b7ae55faa74103827ff8a0c81ce803.png

From this diagram I assume I need to unbolt #16, and then the radiator mounting bolts attached to #5...

wing_1.png.bce751f2fa015188d5405e77e867f59a.png

And from this diagram I assume I'm removing #2 (x2) and #13 (x4).

That feels too easy - what have I missed?

Early models have the bracket at the top of the guard so #16, later models just bolt directly to the bulkhead. There are 4 bolts #11 at the back of the guard to the bulkhead. The two #2screws to the footwear bracket, there is another small bracket or stay to the bottom of the guard from the bulkhead, then the bolts from the inner guard to the bulkhead support brackets, #13. At the front of the guard is the bolts to the slam panel, and two bolts to the chassis at the bottom. Early radiator brackets bolted to the guard too as you mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Which but if the bulkhead needs getting to? Doable with just the side panel off? 

Footwells, and TBH I think it's preferable to take the whole wing off as a unit than to try splitting the skins with 40-year-old fasteners tucked up in there.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

A month from 7S and you are dismantling the ambulance.....? 

One weekend from the 24 Hours of LeMans you mean - 7S is aaaaages away yet :ph34r:

Just trying to get through the jobs list while I've got sunny weekends as I lost 2 bank holidays to a knackered back :angry:

• Like 2

I would just take the whole front wing off. Bit of a bummer if you faff around and cannot get at the subject properly.

I would probably take the door off too. Just makes access soooooo much easier.  

41 minutes ago, smallfry said:

I would probably take the door off too. Just makes access soooooo much easier.

Totally agree. Also it stops things trying to bend under the weight, even tho' it sounds as if the A post is staying.

There is a wiring earth bolted to the inner wing to wing support plate at the front edge and the wiring loom clips along that same inner guard to wing support. Easiest done with the arch extension off . Also an M6 on the rear bottom edge for the wing stay/siil trim. 

They are a bit of an awkward lump once loose but it's by far the best way to access the BH footwell area and a chance to check the post and inject some cavity wax in there.

New floor screws and plastic inserts are handy to have for easy finishing off if the whole footwell is being cut out, along with the correct M8 screws for the BH support bracket.

Steve

• Like 1

just a quick inbetween question , if you take off the outer skin , what kind of spanner do you need to hold the top bolts , you can get a ratchet with an extension on the inside , but the outside boltheads are very close to the top off the skin , with a folded piece of aluminium in the way for a normal box spanner, or open ended one.

Well only 4-5 hours after I started the cussed job the wing is FREE!

Someone has (I think) had it removed before (possibly event replaced it) and not re-fitted all the right bolts which made things less than straightforward... plus a few seized/snapped bolts of course and other minor irritations :rolleyes:

All I've got to do now is gracefully disconnect the wiring loom from it :ph34r:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

All I've got to do now is gracefully disconnect the wiring loom from it :ph34r:

The loom would benefit from a strategic multiplug just there but pulling it out attached is a chance to check for chafing (more powder please Matron) along the clipped section on the inner arch to wing. 

Steve

2 hours ago, steve b said:

The loom would benefit from a strategic multiplug just there

It's just gained one :P

The sum total of today's efforts has been that I managed to get the passenger floor up and the wing removed, and do a bit of light prep for the actual job of cutting & welding :rolleyes:

Also made a couple of captive nuts for the re-fitting to make Future Me's life easier.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/28/2023 at 3:13 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Footwells, and TBH I think it's preferable to take the whole wing off as a unit than to try splitting the skins with 40-year-old fasteners tucked up in there.

I think you mis-spelled something. My 37 year old fasteners are also tucked up in there...but with a different first letter.

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2023 at 3:15 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

One weekend from the 24 Hours of LeMans you mean - 7S is aaaaages away yet :ph34r:

Just trying to get through the jobs list while I've got sunny weekends as I lost 2 bank holidays to a knackered back :angry:

I'm trying to do the same although my footwells are fine. My rot is at the top (so far) and my back is definitely shot...

Backs seem to be a theme…. I had one doctor tell me that at my age, 40% or more of men have significant back pain, so it’s normal.  Evidently she was unable to comprehend the difference between “normal” and “common”.  🙄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Backs seem to be a theme…. I had one doctor tell me that at my age, 40% or more of men have significant back pain, so it’s normal.  Evidently she was unable to comprehend the difference between “normal” and “common”.  🙄

"Slightly" off topic... I broke my back in an accident in 1980 but got away with, at the time, no long term issues. 2 years later I refined the process yomping across the Falklands with a big heavy bergen and some carp boots...and a couple of years after that rounded it off by ejecting from a Hunter on a low flying exercise.

Fair to say that it's a bit fragile these days.

7 minutes ago, Junglie said:

"Slightly" off topic... I broke my back in an accident in 1980 but got away with, at the time, no long term issues. 2 years later I refined the process yomping across the Falklands with a big heavy bergen and some carp boots...and a couple of years after that rounded it off by ejecting from a Hunter on a low flying exercise.

Fair to say that it's a bit fragile these days.

Yep, that’ll do it…😬. The old fashioned bang seats in a Hunter must punch about 25G.