Steel Tube Bends

Bigj66

Why is it I’m struggling to find somewhere that supplies 3mm wall pre-formed mild steel tube bends?

I can find lots of 2mm and stainless suppliers but I’m after something a bit beefier that I can make a seatbelt bar out of and was hoping to be able to buy a couple of 45mm (ish) OD 90 and 130 degree bends.

Can anyone point me towards a supplier or is a 3mm wall too thick to bend?

I unsuccessfully tried to find someone local to bend structural tubing for a roll bar for the Scout. I ended up buying a pipe bender and making a few modifications to it to bend tube (slightly different OD's between pipe and tube).

https://www.princessauto.com/en/16-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender/product/PA0008708018

If this is your only need for bent tube it's probably not worth it, but for me It's actually become a handy tool to have around the shop.

IMG_9440.thumb.jpg.04d4edbdbe51047046f35a385541a290.jpg

IMG_9461.thumb.jpg.b00b43fc97ee136f73c5eb95021602fd.jpg

IMG_9554.thumb.jpg.e1343f48156af53ad99f2c1a8e55a2af.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Kohler said:

I unsuccessfully tried to find someone local to bend structural tubing for a roll bar for the Scout. I ended up buying a pipe bender and making a few modifications to it to bend tube (slightly different OD's between pipe and tube).

https://www.princessauto.com/en/16-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender/product/PA0008708018

If this is your only need for bent tube it's probably not worth it, but for me It's actually become a handy tool to have around the shop.

That hoop is almost exactly what I have in mind, just a bit smaller 👍

2 hours ago, Kohler said:

i have the same bender i think it was on offer for £70 when i got it

2 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

That hoop is almost exactly what I have in mind, just a bit smaller 👍

I've actually considered mounting shoulder seat belts to it, but for now I'm still just using the old lap belts. The real reason I built it was to support a bikini top. I had thought about buying weldable bends, but having the bender really let me get a perfect fit (after a lot of measuring and a few practice bends). I'd recommend it if you can get your hands on a bender for the price @ped did.

IMG_9545.thumb.jpg.5da8f0e8004b1e928b6bc9e40029dac6.jpg

Now if I get caught in a downpour we can stay relatively dry:

IMG_9559.thumb.jpg.0c325a6b146ca492c5382058ce6ad6ca.jpg

And on sunny days I don't burn my scalp:

IMG_9604.thumb.jpg.0c3ed7b9827846f464f2e7aeb98938bc.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve b said:

There are seat belt hoops available in a low profile (shoulder height) full width hoop or left and right hand for just the outer seats off the shelf. 

Steve

Yes I used to have one from Exmoor when I ran roofless before the rebuild. I want something higher now so I can use it to support a bikini canvas roof that I’ll make. I don’t like standard hoop height so something a bit lower than that and a bit thicker for aesthetics is what I’m aiming for.

1 hour ago, Kohler said:

I've actually considered mounting shoulder seat belts to it, but for now I'm still just using the old lap belts. The real reason I built it was to support a bikini top. I had thought about buying weldable bends, but having the bender really let me get a perfect fit (after a lot of measuring and a few practice bends). I'd recommend it if you can get your hands on a bender for the price @ped did.

IMG_9545.thumb.jpg.5da8f0e8004b1e928b6bc9e40029dac6.jpg

Now if I get caught in a downpour we can stay relatively dry:

IMG_9559.thumb.jpg.0c325a6b146ca492c5382058ce6ad6ca.jpg

And on sunny days I don't burn my scalp:

IMG_9604.thumb.jpg.0c3ed7b9827846f464f2e7aeb98938bc.jpg

That’s exactly what I want and for the same reasons. Just to protect against the odd shower or hot sun. Something quick and easy to fit or stow.

1 hour ago, dangerous doug said:

2” tube any good? I have a decent bender but only have a 2” die

2” would be fine. I just don’t want the skinny tube of the original hoops. I might see if I can hire a pipe bender, if not I could manage with pre formed angles and weld them all up.

I believe the pre formed bends are cast rather than bent, as the radius is tighter than could be achieved with a die type bender.

Remember you are bolting this bar to relatively flimsy bodywork.

7 hours ago, Daan said:

These guys are good, bend up anything you want:

https://tube-bender.co.uk/

Ebay shop, there is some landrover-specific stuff there as well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_ssn=tube-bender&store_cat=12595892013&store_name=Tube-Bender-Limited

Saw them on EBay and will probably give them a call once I get some firm measurements and put a drawing together.

Be aware that the push benders as shown in this thread are very prone to distorting tube, even a Tubela will ripple the inside of bends with normal roll cage wall thicknesses. If it isn’t for protection then probably not  an issue.

There are tips and tricks like filling the tube with sand first to support it during the bending process but don’t think you’ll get perfect bends every time.

3 hours ago, bishbosh said:

Be aware that the push benders as shown in this thread are very prone to distorting tube, even a Tubela will ripple the inside of bends with normal roll cage wall thicknesses. If it isn’t for protection then probably not  an issue.

There are tips and tricks like filling the tube with sand first to support it during the bending process but don’t think you’ll get perfect bends every time.

I have a couple of Staffa benders, must say I've never noticed then rippling pipe when in use

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

The push bender shown will bend roll cage tube. BUT the tube will flatten slightly. I remember there being an allowable flattening ratio in UK MSA regs. When I made my roll cage with one of those benders I was slightly the worng side of the ratio limit. However the scrutineer was 'helpful' as he liked the quality of the rest of the cage. 

So it will 'work' and for the reported price above they are good value. But don't assume you will automatically pass formal scrutineering if that is in your plans.

Adrian

5 hours ago, B reg 90 said:

The push bender shown will bend roll cage tube. BUT the tube will flatten slightly. I remember there being an allowable flattening ratio in UK MSA regs. When I made my roll cage with one of those benders I was slightly the worng side of the ratio limit. However the scrutineer was 'helpful' as he liked the quality of the rest of the cage. 

So it will 'work' and for the reported price above they are good value. But don't assume you will automatically pass formal scrutineering if that is in your plans.

Adrian

Reason for the post was that I want to build a seatbelt bar/hoop that will accommodate a bikini type canvas and anchor the seatbelts. Not as high as a standard hoop and about twice as thick in diameter just for aesthetics.

Ive found a company that should be able to provide the hoop and side braces for me so I just need to design the interface with the tub structure but it’s definitely not for competitions just normal road use.

20 hours ago, Snagger said:

Would the type made for MoD 90s and 110s not work?

No, too tall. I want something just slightly taller than the screen height. I also want some longitudinal bars to my own design.

I could adapt one I suppose but they’re quite hard to come by and pricey when the do come up.