where to put front reg plate?

So have finally stuck the winch on the front of the 110, but where to put the number plate?

Moose mentioned sticking a vinyl one on one of the vent flaps below the windscreen. What do other people think? Is there a legal restriction on where it should be - how near or far back from the front etc etc? Can't find anything on the net anywhere that explains it.

I guess the obvious place is on the grill, but will this cause any problems with cool air flow into the rad/intercooler?

Or another thought was to put a removable bracket on top of the winch bumper (h14 pto) so it's obviously in front of the winch drum, and remove it when offroading as it could be vulnerable to stray branches/wild animals etc!?

Anyone got any thoughts?

PS noticed I have a slight diesel leak from the lift pump this evening - is this an easy fix? Presumably I need new gaskets etc?

Cheers

James

how much space each side of the winch fairlead ? my square front reg plate is to the right of my roller fairlead, never had any problems with police or mot, plate has a steel backing to help it survive

110front.jpg

previous rectangular plate version was attached to 2 x 20mm wide uprights on top edge of bumper in front of cable drum, that worked ok too.

I like your thinking Jon! But can't stick it on - chequer plate on bonnet.

Roller fairead sadly way too big to fit it off to one side. Could put it right over to one side of bumper but would really need to be a 2 line reg plate. (ie the square one)

Grill seems easiest option, so will try that first and keep an eye for any nasty things!

Cheers guys

And one day I'll even put the winch drive shaft in! (when I've fabb'ed up a support bracket, steering dampner drop bracket and bump stop spacer! So much to do, and so little time! :rolleyes:

only rules i know for plates are that it must be within 45degrees of vertical & clearly visable from directly infront of the car. having said that early last year i put a sticky plate on my bonnet that of course has been there years & years & years...

Ihave one on the leading edge of the bonnet (been there for years... ;) ) but also added one to the lightbar to be on the safe side:

discoonsalisburyplaintripsmall.jpg

[i know it's disco, but the same is applicable to a defender]

Cheers

Mark

Up nice and high where you don't have to keep cleaning it works for me.

By law it should be clearly visible and not at a 'jaunty' angle.

I did have a traffic policeman ask if it was my real number plate, but thats probably because of the content rather than the location. I after I said yes he was fine. B)

Richard

I know the number plate style is not legal and it was sold as a show plate but the vehicle is rarely used on the road and the normal style plate is always carried. i know its still wrong and as of october when it will be a everyday vehicle it will be changed.

regarding the positioning of the plate i havent had any problems and if you use plates from www.myshowplates.co.uk they are more flexible and dont break/shatter when they come into contact with trees :)

Mine has been on the front of the roofrack for years and I have never had any problem with the MOT station or the Police.

It tends to stay clean up there even when I have been offroading and the rest of the truck is so filthy that you cannot tell what colour it should be :unsure:

United Utilities seem to fit them there on the 110s they have so that seems a good legal option.

I got 2 little L brckets that sit ontop of the winch bumber so the plate sits just above the fairlead. Helps keep the rope clean and I take it off if the winch is going to be used alot.

Found this: for front plates

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed -

() vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

() in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

(4) The diagonal length of the relevant area is -

() in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

() in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

() in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.