Discovery 2 2003 Td5 staring problem

western

Posted by me for a mate, his D2 Td5 has a starting issue. - - - - - 

Still have discovery starting issues.. I just can’t work out if it’s electrical or fuel related.. obviously did the  injector harness,  cleaned out the red ecu plug (common fault apparently ) , I’ve replaced the fuel filter, fuel filter head/housing and all attached non return valve and other valves going into it.. 

I try starting the landy and  it just turns over , then I run the battery down trying to start it. ..  

It will start after jump starting, but only after it turns over for a bit before  starting..   I’m at a loss to what to do ..

• 2 weeks later...

There are two yellow relays under the drivers seat.  Try wiggling them to see if that helps.

It's a common Td5 'feature' where the terminals which connect to the relays develop an intermittent contact with the wires (vibration?) which can either manifest as difficulty starting or sudden power loss while driving (sometimes with the engine temperature appearing to spike).

Either just re-crimp the terminals or re-crimp and apply the tiniest bit of solder to the crimp - and the problem will miraculously vanish.

17 hours ago, bear said:

Hi Simonr, Don't think there are relays under the seat on the D2. Are you thinking of the TD5 Defender?

Griff

I was thinking of a defender - but the D2 must have the same relays even if not in the same place.  It's likely LR would have used the same carrier - so it could easily manifest the same problem.  For the expense of 5 minutes work, it's worth a look.

I had this recently with a friends D2, I believe it was the air bleed valve in the filter head, I could start it on easy start and it would run and drive fine once running but as soon as you stopped it it wouldn't re start. using easy start or similar sparingly direct into the intake is a very quick and easy way to see if everything mechanical is in the right place.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,  it’s my landy that Ralph/western posted about..

Still having the running issues with the landy,  new fuel pump fitted today and made no improvement, it’s possibly worse , 

So that’s new battery, ecu plugs checked/cleaned , new fuel filter, filter valves and filter housing,  new injector harness and new fuel pump (that sounds much better but hasn’t made difference to the running) 

It’s like it’s fuel starved ,  doing the ‘td5 fuel priming’  gets it’s running briefly, but the becomes juddery on acceleration and stalls ..

genuinely at the end of my tether with this now .. 

Right fuel pressure regulator, O ring seals & metal gasket replaced, 5 purge cycles done, engine started ran for about 5 mins, shutoff, restart done, engine shutdown after 2 mins, also have diesel leaking from bottom bolt on regulator block when purging & running,

as far we can tell 3 bolts to engine block are tight as are the fuel pipe connections with new O ring seals, the new regulator part fitted in place well & circlip is secure,

I'm not sure if the diesel leaking from regulator block is normal on a Td5 engine, 

All of the above was done with engine fitted, a right pain to do, 

Where do we go from here??? 

• Sad 1

When I did mine I put a smear of sealer on both sides of the metal gasket and tightened with the torque wrench and second time no problems.

I did mine from underneath on a 4 post lift but if you put the front wheels on ramps you should be able to see what you are doing more easily.

Beware of the wires to the crankshaft position sensor and the sensor which is close by.

What colour was the fuel pump that was  changed? 

Perhaps the injector seals are ok when cold but as the engine warms up they start to leak combustion gas into the fuel gallery and so causes the engine to die.  Injector seals are not difficult to do, just don't rush , there is probably a youtube video by now.

These are classic symptoms of injector seal failure and would have been where i would have gone 1st.  Did the old fuel pump come out covered in soot? That's a tell tale symptom.

Don't cheap out on the seals, buy genuine, don't forget to set the injector lift after reinstalling them and keep them in order to avoid having to code the injectors to the ecu. 

With faults like this, it pays to test things, a fuel pressure gauge would have been cheaper to buy than all the previous parts fitted and would have told you all you need to know. 

Was the fuel pump a good brand? Every non VDO/Continental pump i've ever fitted seems to cause the fuel gauge to read wrong and they run out of fuel showing 1/4 tank.