OT - "Vintage" Tractor Purchasing

ThreePointFive

Modify the log splitter so you can put the bucket under it. When I use the big saw bench I put the JCB bucket right up next to it so that logs just fall straight into it from the bench.

I really wish I'd put an access hatch in the roof of the log shed so I could simply tip logs into the top. Would have saved all the double handling.

Our neighbour has the right idea. He brought up probably 600 tonnes of firewood up from the fields. Chainsaw through the big boughs until he could pick them up.

PTO sawbench and splitter onto the concrete yard. Bucket on the tractor to pick them up and tip them into the top end of the cattle barn. When he wanted a load for the fireplace drove the tractor, picked up a bucket and then tipped them into two log baskets to carry into the house (in the bucket).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Our neighbour has the right idea. He brought up probably 600 tonnes of firewood up from the fields. Chainsaw through the big boughs until he could pick them up.

PTO sawbench and splitter onto the concrete yard. Bucket on the tractor to pick them up and tip them into the top end of the cattle barn. When he wanted a load for the fireplace drove the tractor, picked up a bucket and then tipped them into two log baskets to carry into the house (in the bucket).

I know a chap that splits them into IBC cages and stacks to dry, then the log store by the house is just the right size to tip an IBC cage into. 

All good suggestions and not like I didn't think first!  Because that particular lot needed careful stacking, it was easier to put the splitter right next to the pile and stack straight from it.  It was also way easier to put the bucket by the rounds and drive them to the splitter than walking backwards and forwards.  The next lot will be ground-stored, on the assumption I finish my shed this summer.  In that case, it will be reverse order (splitter by the rounds, split right into the bucket).  To be honest, the tractor is a bit big for enclosed spaces but we use what we have.

Another great use for that splitter was as a 25 ton hydraulic press to straighten the bucket.  It had quite the bow in it when I got it!

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Nice. Underslung exhaust. Is it a narrow vineyard model?

Normal width one … not sure why it had the low exhaust - might help me fit it in the garage though

IMG_9617.thumb.jpeg.ddd8de7cfa7dbb449c16ccf047eef57c.jpeg

IMG_9618.thumb.jpeg.84854bc552affc32a776911b69f51d5b.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Green Bob said:

Very nice! I reckon one of those would fit in the garage nicely if I could get it past the OH without her noticing.

I got the OH’s blessing - though not immediately! 

Where to put it is a question I need to answer - I can possibly make space in my garage for it. If not it might be under a cover outside.

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Lovely! Got any particular implements planned to go with it? 

I think I’ll start with a flail mower, I’d like a haybob, and a small square baler eventually. Not sure how I find an old baler that’s cheap but not worn out though - I’ve no idea how they work.

I did plan on buying a scruffier tractor that I could leave up at the field … this is a bit nice to just leave parked in the middle of nowhere.

Longer term I am going to look at getting planning for a small 2 bay barn, something a bit more secure, or if it will fit in the garage at home perhaps even a field shelter to keep the mower out the weather.

It’s very exciting ! 

I’ve paid a deposit and the chap gave me the V5 to take, he said he works on trust. 😊

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Normal width one … not sure why it had the low exhaust - might help me fit it in the garage though

IMG_9617.thumb.jpeg.ddd8de7cfa7dbb449c16ccf047eef57c.jpeg

IMG_9618.thumb.jpeg.84854bc552affc32a776911b69f51d5b.jpeg

I got the OH’s blessing - though not immediately! 

Where to put it is a question I need to answer - I can possibly make space in my garage for it. If not it might be under a cover outside.

I think I’ll start with a flail mower, I’d like a haybob, and a small square baler eventually. Not sure how I find an old baler that’s cheap but not worn out though - I’ve no idea how they work.

I did plan on buying a scruffier tractor that I could leave up at the field … this is a bit nice to just leave parked in the middle of nowhere.

Longer term I am going to look at getting planning for a small 2 bay barn, something a bit more secure, or if it will fit in the garage at home perhaps even a field shelter to keep the mower out the weather.

It’s very exciting ! 

I’ve paid a deposit and the chap gave me the V5 to take, he said he works on trust. 😊

The benefit of an underslung exhaust is not catching low trees when paddock topping round the edge, both of our 135's have bent exhausts!

I keep looking at flails but unsure what to go for. Currently its more like a paddy field here rather than something you could drive a machine onto so is not that high a priority!

• Like 1

A mate of mine has just bought a bigger flail run from a Case 5140 from this company https://www.mdlpowerup.com/product/efgc-flail-mowers/

I can't work out if I want a 175 wide without side shift or a 200 with side shift. I have a MF165 so a few more HP to run it than you will have

I am nervous of buying a second hand flail - if they are abused they can go badly out of balance and be expensive to sort

Interestingly on this 35 - this isn’t the 3 cylinder Perkins engine - it’s the earlier 4 cylinder one, which has a reputation for poor starting.

This one seems to start well, well it smokes a lot to start with - but it clears and it is 1958. It’s also had the injector pump rebuilt .. 

but what I’ve read is that the glow plugs on these were wired through a big resistor, possibly to protect the switch?, and then they were all wired in series .. so if one failed none of the subsequent ones would get power. 

So the modern remedy seems to be that there are lots of folk saying they’ve fitted Land Rover ones, from Turners, in parallel and with a relay. 

https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/gam100-heater-plug-conversion-kit-c2x20634398

19 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

A mate of mine has just bought a bigger flail run from a Case 5140 from this company https://www.mdlpowerup.com/product/efgc-flail-mowers/

I can't work out if I want a 175 wide without side shift or a 200 with side shift. I have a MF165 so a few more HP to run it than you will have

I am nervous of buying a second hand flail - if they are abused they can go badly out of balance and be expensive to sort

3 years warranty on the one you linked .. 

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

Worth a look… slight grey area if you’re not ‘farming’, but you might find that planning isn’t needed for an agricultural building!