OT - "Vintage" Tractor Purchasing

ThreePointFive

On 1/5/2024 at 6:02 PM, landroversforever said:

Worth a look… slight grey area if you’re not ‘farming’, but you might find that planning isn’t needed for an agricultural building!

I think you will need planning, unless it is not fixed to the floor like those towable horse shelters on skids. If you are on an ANOB or near an SSSI, it can be a real problem.

As we have found out with building a stable, or rather not..........

The only real disadvantage of a downswept exhaust, is that in certain circumstances, like drought or the height of summer, it is possible for a stray spark to ignite crops like wheat, barley and oats etc, dry grass, straw and cut hay. Which is why they generally point upwards.

Overall though, much better because you do not get your engine full of rainwater if left standing for long periods.

On 1/5/2024 at 4:36 PM, L19MUD said:

The benefit of an underslung exhaust is not catching low trees when paddock topping round the edge, both of our 135's have bent exhausts!

You're doing better than me, I've had to weld my 1220's exhaust back together twice so far in two years...

On 1/5/2024 at 4:36 PM, L19MUD said:

I keep looking at flails but unsure what to go for. Currently its more like a paddy field here rather than something you could drive a machine onto so is not that high a priority!

I'd highly recommend looking at Winton if you're after something "smaller". A friend used to use them for forestry clearance and was averaging one a year (he had it behind a 1220 like me for the small stuff), came to the annual let's buy another and got a shock when he picked it up. They'd upgraded from tin work to a minimum of about  4mm plate and up... They upgraded the gearbox as well and everything else. He hasn't broken it yet and that's 5 years later.

Mine yet used for mowing down brash as well as small trees and then during the summer does regular lawn mowing duties around the mansion. It does a better job than the old John Deere ride on it replaced and is a damn sight faster.

22 hours ago, smallfry said:

Overall though, much better because you do not get your engine full of rainwater if left standing for long periods.

On my TEA28, there's a small hole in the lowest part of the hockey stick to stop water accumulating in the exhaust.  I still jam a tin can on it (even though it now lives inside, force of habit) and ALWAYS forget when I start it.  Quite the projectile...

• Haha 3

On 1/8/2024 at 7:26 PM, deep said:

On my TEA28, there's a small hole in the lowest part of the hockey stick to stop water accumulating in the exhaust.  I still jam a tin can on it (even though it now lives inside, force of habit) and ALWAYS forget when I start it.  Quite the projectile...

Have got two Fordson Majors here with the same hole in the hockey stick. On both the engines, a couple of cylinders were full of water, and look like they have been in the sea for years. Seized solid obviously. Mind you, had been standing outside for thirty years. On both the exhaust box had long gone and the hole blocked by all sorts (not liquorice). They both had the exhaust originally covered with a tin can.

Would have better if covered by a ceramic mug !  

• Sad 1

When I were a lad, back on the farm, all the tractors had a hinged flap on the top of the exhaust. It closed when not running, and kept the rain out.

When the tractor was idling, the flap would bounce against the exhaust.

It's one of my childhood memories, the noise it made, tapping away.

Screenshot_2024-01-10-12-19-24-892_com.brave.browser-edit.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gazzar said:

When I were a lad, back on the farm, all the tractors had a hinged flap on the top of the exhaust. It closed when not running, and kept the rain out.

haha , i thought everybody know's these things , so i didn't bother to react ... (clearly age is showing ...)

6 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Screenshot_2024-01-10-12-19-24-892_com.brave.browser-edit.jpg

I've got those on mine👍

Exactly what I have on my big Fiat.  Only problem is it doesn't stay tight, creeps down slightly and then doesn't completely close.  If I didn't have a sieve like a memory, I'd have fixed it a long time ago...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 4:32 PM, Anderzander said:

I think I’ll start with a flail mower, I’d like a haybob, and a small square baler eventually. Not sure how I find an old baler that’s cheap but not worn out though - I’ve no idea how they work.

I may have my complete setup for sale in the not too distant future, disc mower, PZ haybob and New Holland 276 baler.

20220617_155611.jpg

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

You’re a bit too far away Chris, sadly. 

Yeah opposite ends of different countries, ironically when we eventually move from here, back to St Annes is a possibility, don't think it'll go on a removal van though😃

Yes ! St Anne’s would be unbelievably convenient. 

My cousin is getting married not a million miles from you, at Gellifawr Woodland Retreat, Fishguard. That’s next year.

Imagine if I turned up with a haybob and a mower 😂

When you get up here - do let me know. I’ll take you for a cup of tea.

Do you have a date? 

23 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

When you get up here - do let me know. I’ll take you for a cup of tea.

I'll take you up on that, no date in mind but probably in the next few years, lived in St Annes for about 20 years and have a big soft spot for it.

Out of curiosity how much do we reckon they weigh? We'll likely be travelling to the lakes the end of March and could possibly help out with the relay. With any luck we might have up to 4.5t of payload if a suitable trailer could be pinched.