Steering column bearings

Has anyone found a replacement bearing for the elusive lower ball bearing of a defender steering column? Mine is an early 90, the bearing was shot with most of the balls missing. The part no on the outer race is 22/36 2RS west germany. The size seems odd though, for sure its not metric and not 22x36, more like 22.5x 35.7

Trawled though the internet to find a similar sized bearing or sn LR part no but nothing. The closest I could get to was 22x37 or 20x32.

I was told there's no replacement for it and most who repair it use a bush instead.

Thanks @western, from what I understood, there seems to be a procedure of how to replace them but no spares!   The original part no. 22/36 2rs does not result in anything. Surely there must be a replacement part!

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Surely this is 7/8" inside and 1 3/8" outside? 

No idea on source, but maybe that helps. 

7/8" inside, outside it's 55.7mm or 1.406" wouldn't know what it is in fraction. Still found nothing. 7/8" id bearings I found, but the OD is too large.

47 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

Consider using speedi sleves to make bearings fit. Maybe there are some with the right size.

That's an option, I could use a 22x32 bearing and machine a sleeve for it to take up the difference.

48 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

This is available on eBay .com from China

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363979326842

Regards Stephen

Expensive, and still not a direct fitment I believe 

44 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Would it be possible to machine a brass bush and incorporate a grease nipple

Regards Stephen

Very possible and probably the easiest way, if I don't find the correct bearing I'll be going that way.

In the meantime pm @bmhor maybe he still has some as he mentioned he had bearings, but that was ages ago!

5 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Would it be possible to machine a brass bush and incorporate a grease nipple

Regards Stephen

Thats possible for sure, but i´d believe, that they had the idea when engineering the Land rover as well. There is a reason for using a more expensive solution.

I´d rather go for sleves and use a ball bearing

Judging by the unique bearing size the LR engineers probably saw an important point to it.

But when I think of it, I can't really justify a mandatory use for a ball bearing. Lets face it, the rotation speed of the column is negligible, most of the time it is oscillating left to right at slow speed. The only issue I see is thrust loads as the bush can carry none unless it has a shoulder.

Found a local bearing shop who might help me out. On his catalogue he found 22x36x10 bearings but he does not stock them, never sold one he said. He's going to check with his supplier if still available, if yes I'll order. Hope it fits!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

Cast iron is the way forward if you go down that route.

Why? I´d prefer brass as well. Since the steering shaft is iron, it will soon be seized with a cast iron bush.

Edited by Sigi_H