Finding a Camel Trophy Defender Owner

Howitzer

Hello all, long time no post. 

I met a guy in Churwalden in Switzerland at the start of August. He had a fantastic Camel Trophy and think he mentioned he was a member on here. 

He was there with his wife and 2 kids and my son would like to get in touch with his, he forgot to grab their number, as did we. 

If that rings a bell to anyone then I can leave my details and get in contact. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Dave!

Edited by Howitzer

• Howitzer changed the title to Finding a Camel Trophy Defender Owner
2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Last I heard, yes.

Guy S still has his - in fact it's been fully and beautifully restored & re-built.

Seen here under race conditions at Thruxton:

2021-06-12_12-34-23.jpg

That doesnt belong to Guy.

Myself and a good few others spent a good bit of lockdown restoring that truck and it was an absolute pig in so many ways. - it didn't actually need a restoration in the first place, but the owner wanted a factory job done on it. it was never a full CT truck with a lot of the CT gear never installed from factory, suffice to say he had all the bells and whistles after we'd finished it.

Guy shepherd's camel was an event director vehicle from memory. He's had it for a long time and it was getting quite tatty and heavily abused.

Guy doesn't have children, Paul I can't remember but suspect if he does they'll be older. Dan's kids are a boy and girl one around 14 and the other about 9.

Mike

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 1:42 PM, Nonimouse said:

Paul doesn't have his 110 anymore, or his Freelander. Not even sure he has a land Rover. His name is Paul Challis and he's on FB

Does Dan still have his 110?

No camels sadly 

but there is a series still in a garage in Yeovil that might appear again 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Guy shepherd's camel was an event director vehicle from memory. He's had it for a long time and it was getting quite tatty and heavily abused.

Guy doesn't have children, Paul I can't remember but suspect if he does they'll be older. Dan's kids are a boy and girl one around 14 and the other about 9.

Mike

Yes 32 and 29. 

9 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Nicely wrapped!!

Done anything to keep it dry inside and not sweat? 

I went to great expense to buy a fabric tarp for it rather than plastic, its in a well ventilated place which also helps, so not experienced any damp issues with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon W said:

Go on then how much as it is in its presently wrapped condition? I can see if my wife has got me anything for my birthday yet 🤣

@Jon WDifficult for me to put a value on it really, its more the case of it you want one, you want one. PM me if you're interested. 

For reference.

1995 Land Rover Defender 110 Camel Trophy For Sale by Auction (bonhams.com)

1998 Land Rover Defender 110SW Camel Trophy For Sale By Auction (carandclassic.com)

WhatsAppImage2023-12-20at10_06_26.thumb.jpeg.f04cd5e30e8abb60e5d30077a05ab92f.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jon W said:

Wow those prices are eye watering, I think if I sold all of mine it still wouldn't make enough. Will be interesting to see what you do with it as you have so many projects 

Honestly I thought the crusty one for 28k was a pretty good price given what Land Rover charge for replicas, if you can weld it would not be a terrible restoration job. Only wrinkle is you'd probably want to save the original chassis rather than throw a galv one under it just for originality, which would create a load of extra work.

• Like 3