Urgent Clutch Question

This is for a 300Tdi 90 year 1995

It's looking like I need a NEW Clutch!?!.....

So which one is the BEST to get and what is the part number and where to get it from please????

Thought I read along time ago the 300Tdi Clutch was heavy duty type because of the need to play/ride the Clutch at times, mainly off road at a guess???

Any help, suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers Andy 

Cheers for the reply, was looking at the VALEO HD set up...UQB000130 Friction Plate...URB100760 Pressure Cover

Not sure on part numbers for the heavy duty Release Bearing and part number for heavy duty fork???

Does ALL this come as a VALEO HD kit if so where at???

Cheers Andy 

OK quick update, just spoke to a Very helpful guy at Paddock Spares by the name of Ben....

He informs me they do a VALEO HD Kit comprising of Friction Plate, Pressure Cover and Release Bearing....Part No. DA5551G

Then a Heavy Duty Fork kit....Part No. FTC2957HD kit

Does all this sound about right???

My 5.2V8  Destroyed clutches for a past time,

ok, big BHP + Torque, but proves quality vs cheap - even tried a paddle plate clutch - good - but it was horrible on road...

after trying near everything ended up with an LOF unit.

Buy that if you really want to not worry about doing the job again for a long time 

Nige

• Thanks 1

Ok guys thanks for the input!... Will have a look at the LOF unit and see what that comes in at???

@Sigi_H any recommendations for HD Fork kits then as Paddock only does Britpart???

Andy

Valeo and Borg&Beck are the two OEM suppliers.  Valero is what used to be in the Britpart kit a decade ago, but I don’t know what is in there now.

Britannica Restorations do a clutch fork pivot bush kit that replicates what the SIIIs had and solves the wear through the fork of a standard fork and the wear of the pivot with the “HD” forks with the welded plate reinforcement.

While you have the clutch out, it’s worth replacing the spigot bush too.  It really ought to be part of the kit.

• Thanks 1

@Snagger not seen any mention of Borg & Beck in my search and as for LOF!?! The price kills that idea! If Valeo lasts half as long as the original, it will see me out!?!....The HD Fork kit contains what is shown in the photo, I guess the Brass Ring is the Spigot Bush you mentioned?

Screenshot_20240112_195531_eBay.jpg.1ced22c3b82c76abe948e4e0e78e27df.jpg

While it's all coming out I have a leaking CRANK SEAL that might as well be done, any advice or tips on which bits to get or not get???.....

Going with Corteco Seals as always but what about the rear seal LUF100430 DOES this need to be a GENUINE part or will the Britpart OE suffice??? Any other bits for this task???

Edited by Mutley

Valeo are good. Had a disaster with a borg and beck where the centre of the friction plate fell apart, I wasnt impressed. Never seen the need to spend more than valeo cost. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mutley said:

@Snagger not seen any mention of Borg & Beck in my search and as for LOF!?! The price kills that idea! If Valeo lasts half as long as the original, it will see me out!?!....The HD Fork kit contains what is shown in the photo, I guess the Brass Ring is the Spigot Bush you mentioned?

While it's all coming out I have a leaking CRANK SEAL that might as well be done, any advice or tips on which bits to get or not get???.....

Going with Corteco Seals as always but what about the rear seal LUF100430 DOES this need to be a GENUINE part or will the Britpart OE suffice??? Any other bits for this task???

Tbh, if the rear seal isnt leaking, I would leave it. Do you mean front or rear crank seal is leaking ?

If rear, genuine. 

@reb78 yeah the rear seal's been leaking for some time now, so thought I'd make the most of it if whilst the clutch is being done.

As for the rear seal, just read on another thread someone advising to use the one from TURNER ENGINEERING....Which looks and sounds like a quality item for similar money to genuine!?!

Andy

In my eyes the real question about chlutches is the quality of the plate spring.

I believe the linings of all brands are ok. The spring is responsible for the amount of pressure in the clutch.

I almost always heard about damaged springs, but never from a worn out lining. I had a bad spring in a Britpart HD after 80000 km. After that I found in the Internet, that this problem seems to be quite common. They become lame and it can be real quick.

Edited by Sigi_H

I have fitted several Britpart HD clutches behind standard and tuned TDi's including my own wich outlasted gearboxes, shafts and cvs with lots of trialing and towing. Im not saying they are the best you can buy but I have no issues with using them based on my experience. IIRC they were about £90 for the kit.

13 hours ago, Mutley said:

That kit will be fine, the friction plate at least is OEM and that is the spigot bush for the crank.

As others said, I’d leave the crank seal unless it’s leaking as new aftermarket are usually worse than old original.  But if you need a new one, go to Turner Eng, who are selling OEM seals for 2.8TGVs, which had a reinforced lower edge to eliminate the leaks from the original LR seal metal section flexing.

• Like 1

Mike at Britannia Restoration has a video on the rear seal. He reckons the seal itself doesn't  leak, it's from the bottom of the carrier.If you use the Turner ones you may need to drill and tap a couple of small new holes, but probably worth the effort to avoid leaks

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 6:48 PM, Mutley said:

Ok guys thanks for the input!... Will have a look at the LOF unit and see what that comes in at???

@Sigi_H any recommendations for HD Fork kits then as Paddock only does Britpart???

Andy

LOF again - I make them with a MC700 Domex plate over the front area !

Borg and Beck are not what the once were. They no longer supply the OE market. Now it it just a brand name trading on a glorious past.

Probably made in a country in the easterly direction.

• Sad 1

@fmmv yes I've seen the Mike's videos, always find them informative!

Just noticed from Turners Web image of LUF100430 Seal that there's x2 extra holes at the bottom of the casing!?! As there are NO bolts for these on the 300Tdi.... is it as well to fill these with Sikaflex or Gasket Sealant or something???

Screenshot_20240114_215734_Chrome.jpg.a2119f1f3ea8bc7eeea3a1d114bc3c3a.jpg

You can fit it with RTV and the original bolts, just like the original seal.  This is the 2.8 seal, and I understand the bottom edge is stiffer than the original anyway, but drilling and tapping for the two extra bolts would be worthwhile if you can.