Glue/epoxy/sticky stuff - magnetic drain plugs

In my knutian task of preventing wear in my overdrive, I'm going to adapt the drain plugs by adding magnets.

What's a good adhesive to use?

Yes, that's my worry. I'll recess the magnet into the plug, but I want to coat the thing in something as well, so that the chrome plating on the magnet doesn't delaminate.

I used little magnets with a countersunk hole in the middle, drill & tap M3/M4 and loctite a little screw in as well as loctiting the magnet into the recessed hole.

Just be aware that adhesives/sealants that tolerate oil are not necessarily the same as ones that will actually live submerged in oil.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Nice idea! Or I could peen the recess. Thanks.

Yep, drill it slightly too deep and just centre-punch the edge a couple of times.

On the plus side, a magnet stuck in a hole in a lump of steel will mostly try quit hard to stay in there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gazzar said:

In my knutian task of preventing wear in my overdrive, I'm going to adapt the drain plugs by adding magnets.

What's a good adhesive to use?

JB weld

Regards Stephen 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

JB weld

Regards Stephen 

Beat me to it.  Great stuff.  Just make sure the hollow of the plug is incredibly clean first.  In fact, it may be better to machine a hollow for the magnet to sit in the outside of the plug under a retaining lip that would prevent it from being drawn up into the box if the epoxy should fail.  Belt and braces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hurbie said:

or just visit your local MAN truck dealer and buy a axle drain plug with the magnet installed 😉  (there the same thread as far as i can see)

Or hydraulics shop.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 9:09 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

I used little magnets with a countersunk hole in the middle, drill

Having tried glue once upon a time - and regretted it, Fridge's suggestion is the best option!

• Like 1