Engine identification

OK, one for the engine people.

I sold a 200/300tdi engine crank locking tool to someone who is now complaining it doesn't fit there Land Rover engine, its the type that picks up the 4 bolt holes in the front pulley and locks the crank to undo or do up the front pulley bolt, the bolt holes in the tool are 4 x 75mm PDC for M8 bolts which I know is correct for all 200/300  tdi engines I have seen and will also work for 2.5 NA / TD engines (plus I believe some jag engines).

They have sent me the picture below of the front crank pulley on there "Rover" engine which looks nothing like any land rover engine I have ever seen, way more holes, looks like some one has been busy with a drill!, also a weird inner circle of bolts.

I have asked them for a picture of the entire engine and what model of LR its fitted to but still waiting for a reply. I suspect they might have a non LR engine fitted by a previous owner, which would be slightly worrying that they are working on and engine assuming its standard when its a different make, might have few issues with parts fitting......... 

So anyone any idea what it might be or any guesses just from this picture?.

With this being eBay if they lodge a complaint I am likely to end up giving them all there money and postage back since eBay seems to use work on the idea the buyer is always right, even when there not, sod the seller.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.06a167d32c98735f674a51284578ad9f.jpg

On the basis there is no sump below or timing chest to the right it's either not a 200/300 or it's not the crank pulley. Could it be the steering pump pulley? It doesn't look like a vee belt either.

Mike

I agree, it isn't the 300TDi crank pulley as the bolt isn't big enough. On the 300 it's 27mm and the power steering pulley doesn't have a centre bolt.

Edit, here's mine showing water pump pulley top right and power steering underneath.

Screenshot2024-03-25at07_37_58.png.e8573c0d1eaa12652e25188009bd7f51.png

Ok got some more info from the buyer but no picture, apparently it is the engine in a Rover 800 so Landroversforever identification as a Range Rover VM engine may not be far from the mark, I was clearly not getting all the info to start with, "standard Rover engine" was technically correct but since it was stated as a LR tool the implication would be the Rover meant Land Rover which is not the case. Apparently some one told him that a 300tdi locking tool would work on it, it clearly doesn't, in the advert I do state the bolt PCD since I know it will work on some other Rover and Jag engines and leave it to the buy to check if it fits there engine if they want to try and use it on anything other than a LR engine.

Might offer him a small refund or let him return it at his cost since it clearly won't have been used, but that the lot.

16 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I don't understand how it is so offset from the sump.....

I would be asking for more pictures of the engine.

It could be lying on its side on the bench.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sean f said:

Ok got some more info from the buyer but no picture, apparently it is the engine in a Rover 800 so Landroversforever identification as a Range Rover VM engine may not be far from the mark, I was clearly not getting all the info to start with, "standard Rover engine" was technically correct but since it was stated as a LR tool the implication would be the Rover meant Land Rover which is not the case. Apparently some one told him that a 300tdi locking tool would work on it, it clearly doesn't, in the advert I do state the bolt PCD since I know it will work on some other Rover and Jag engines and leave it to the buy to check if it fits there engine if they want to try and use it on anything other than a LR engine.

Might offer him a small refund or let him return it at his cost since it clearly won't have been used, but that the lot.

Have him send it back and refund the purchase price would be my thought.

Then again, I'm a carppy businessman...😁

The bit on the left looks like a sump flange to me, or now looking again where the filter screws on maybe... 

Either way a rover 800 is not a 200/300tdi. 

If my memory hasn't completely failed... Some V6 were Honda, some were Rover engined (KV6 like Freelander I think).  Early 4 pot were Rover, don't know about later ones.

I once got asked to help a mate who was replacing a failed V6 in one, and had 'a few issues'. Turned out he was trying to stuff a Rover lump into the hole left by a Honda. Not ashamed to say I ran away without picking up a spanner :lol:

Edited by TSD